What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well, that was a very enjoyable experience. We went to the Jobbers Rest in Upminster which is our local restaurant of choice for a better than average meal. I had a couple of gins, potted crab with avocado guacamole to start, roasted halibut on the bone with some kind of fish eggs and a champagne sauce and a very chocolatey dessert. All very Covid aware - even the Moose wore a mask and face shield. Merry Christmas! :mrgreen:
B84557EC-848D-4F6B-B4A3-4E552F564C14.jpeg

Attachments

• B504EDBF-4EE6-4B2B-BA98-C49D27F47F40.jpeg
    B504EDBF-4EE6-4B2B-BA98-C49D27F47F40.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Today I’ve been helping out over my allotment - fitting a new covering on the huge communal poly tunnel. It wasn’t just a matter of one off, one on either - the bottom of the cover is dug about a foot into the ground and it all had to be dug out. Being the youngster at 62 years old, I got all the heavy work as well as the high level stuff to do. There were 10 of us altogether and we managed to get it all done just before it lashed down with rain although my back feels like it’s broken in half right now! So, what have you lot been doing today?

Been helping my other half put a flat pack shed together. As is always the way with these things, there were bits that didn't fit quite flush, but it helps if your other half is an engineer and is able to find solutions pretty quickly. I was just his little helper really :sneaky:

When using an ultrasonic cleaner for coins, place them in a plastic basket, not a metal one, it will not damage the coins then, as long as the coins don't come into contact with each other.
It wasnt damage I was talking about - it was the simple act of cleaning them which I wondered about. I do know that with many "antiques" cleaning is a complete no-no, and can knock huge amounts off value.

So I just asked Mottie if hed consulted any experts before cleaning them.

It might have been a good idea if he had: https://www.sbcgold.com/blog/clean-old-coins/

OK - they are talking about mechanical cleaning, but this stood out, and would apply no matter what method was used -

"If they are old, have “toning” (numismatic term for tarnish), or look like they need a clean, they could be valuable and cleaning will destroy a substantial part of that value."

And this casts a lot of doubt on the use of ultrasonic. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/cleaning-coins-with-a-ultrasonic-cleaner.272861/

Anyway, its done now. Que sera sera.

Thanks, but I could understand the above if they were mint coins and I was looking to sell them. I’m not, they’re just a tin of old coins that I collected and okayed with as a child. I would imagine any coin kept in a tin with loads of others and played with by children wouldn’t be worth much no matter what their rarity or patina.

I had an allotment disappointment today. I’ve not even sown my parsnips yet but I did find som tiny, tiny parsnips growing when I dug it over a few months ago so I carefully replanted them. They were going great guns - I’d never seen parsnips growing so tall. Anyway, I thought I’d dig a couple up for our Sunday lunch
WTF! They were all top and no bottom. Tiny baby parsnips so I took the whole lot up and I’ll be having baby roast ones today. The allotment manager said they wouldn’t come to anything and I thought ‘I’ll show him!' Live and learn. :rolleyes:

572093AD-26A6-47FD-BF59-79C700039BE7.jpeg

Actually, none of it was. The 'roots' are as tough as wood. Can hardly cut the tops off of them. Unusable.

Sponsored Links
Back