What have you been doing today?

I am surprised.

I can believe that the above-ground stems are useless (been there, grown the celtuce), but the actual leaves look like they should be fine. Shame they arent.

If ever you get carrots again, one thing I can say with utter confidence is that the tops make excellent pesto. Again the stems are not good eating (but are great for flavouring stock), but the little soft frondy leaves are another matter. Pesto, or in a white sauce for fish, like you would use parsley.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Tidied up after next doors builders.....

There having the side of their house re-pointed (they declined to have it done at the same time as mine last September)

My guy cleaned up their side when he finished each day, washed the car down from the dust and driveway etc.

There guys have put scaffolding up down my side access, leant it up against my house and haven't had the decency to tidy any of the dust up.

Annoying thing is they never told us about it until it was already done, just messaged the wife and said oh we having the house pointed and we've had to lean the scaffold against your house and use your side access, hope you don't mind.

They have a stupid shed they've built on the side of there house and have used the shed as the boundary, which slightly encroaches our side, the guttering definitely does (which is bloody annoying) so have had to have their scaffolding go up and over this.

One saving grace is that their guy has done a right shoddy job of the pointing, only digging out 10mm if that, then it's bucket handled so probably only putting in 5mm of mortar, and then looks like they've put the mortar in with their fingers, doesn't look very neat,.

Mrs Mottie had a sort out of her terracotta chimney pots and planters. 4 of them had cracked so I’ve put them in our side drive for disposal. However, next doors 10 year old is always kicking a ball in the drive - we don’t mind too much as it’s good to see a kid playing out instead of being stuck in front of a telly or a computer game. Anyway, I turned one pot upside down and balanced another large one on top, right on the edge. You could have blown in it and it would fall. I went out and sure enough, when I came back, the precariously balanced pot was missing. I ran the CCTV back and sure enough, he had hit it with the ball, it fell and smashed into about 20 pieces, he panicked and picked all the broken bits up and hid them in the bushes in his front garden. I’ll have some fun with him when I next see him. :sneaky::LOL:

Last edited:
Mrs Mottie dragged out one of those huge vacuum packed storage bags from the back bedroom with all my summer clothes in it. I was told to sort it out in three piles. One that I will be wearing immediately, one that I will be wearing when I lose my lockdown fat and one for the charity shop. I also had to sort out my wardrobe and pack away all my autumn/winter clothes. I’ve now got virtually sod all to wear! I said I need to go out and buy some stuff but she said "You're not buying any decent clothes for the size you are now - lose some weight!". I've been told that if I don’t, I can only buy from the charity shop until I’ve lost my Derby!

Popped over the allotment to water my seedlings and just in time - the heat had really got to them. Looks like I might need to go twice a day in this glorious weather we're having lately.

Best tennis session since before lockdowns, new lady member, cracking net player, fired down lots of aces, only drawback nearby pub was shut

Went to old McDonald farm today in Brentwood, had a dinosaur special on, was just me and my boy we had a great time, it was lovely.

Only annoying thing was work kept tryiy to call me although I was booked as annual leave, it's very frustrating knowing you work with dingbats who can't think for themselves

Stripped all the electrics out of my old shed ready to install when my new one is built. Left the cabling, (except the mains feed), clipped around the eaves as couldn't be arsed to unclip it. Measured the footprint of all my static machines and now need to sit down with the graph paper and do a layout for the new workshop. Already have a rough idea where things are going but it will be good to see it down on paper.
Repointed in between the patio flags and give the lawns and flower beds a damn good watering as the sun was setting.

I’m just off out to do my nightly duty and pick up any brown dog eggs from the lawn before turning in for the night. The fun never ends......

Last edited:
Mrs Mottie dragged out one of those huge vacuum packed storage bags from the back bedroom with all my summer clothes in it. I was told to sort it out in three piles. One that I will be wearing immediately, one that I will be wearing when I lose my lockdown fat and one for the charity shop. I also had to sort out my wardrobe and pack away all my autumn/winter clothes. I’ve now got virtually sod all to wear! I said I need to go out and buy some stuff but she said "You're not buying any decent clothes for the size you are now - lose some weight!". I've been told that if I don’t, I can only buy from the charity shop until I’ve lost my Derby!
Summer clothes always shrink over the winter.

Yeah, someone else told me about them last year - after I’d thrown them away! I’d never heard of them before but I’m going to use them this year.
Absolutely - they are delightful gently sauteed in butter.

I’ve just been up and had my first proper grow-up, paid-for haircut by a professional since last March! Mrs Mottie had been doing it for me but as I am now fully vaccinated she has downed tools. I thought she did a good job.....until today when I was reminded how a pro does it. :LOL: Mind you, I was financially embarrassed when I had to pay. It had always been £15 and I always tip him £3 so I took the cash with me. Unfortunately he had put his prices up and it was £17.50 so I could only tip him 50 pence. I felt a right tightwad. :oops:

Last edited:
Yeah, someone else told me about them last year - after I’d thrown them away! I’d never heard of them before but I’m going to use them this year.
'Twas me, though it depends if you have soft or hard neck garlic, soft neck garlic don't have them. If you cut them off early it should help boost the size of the bulb.
Garlic Scapes: What they are and what to do with them. :: Blog :: The Garlic Farm - for all things garlic
Recipe ideas for Scapes - includes video of cooking demonstration! :: Blog :: The Garlic Farm - for all things garlic

Sponsored Links
Back