What have you been doing today?

Just arrived home after a Steam Train ride, good fun.
A couple of years ago I surprised Mrs Mottie with a surprise steam train trip to Winchester for her birthday. What was unique was that the train was actually stopping at our local station, Upminster, she knew nothing about it until we left the house to walk to the station and was flabbergasted when it pulled in. We've lived here since 1990 and had never seen a steam train at that station.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...me-i’ll-be-boarding-this.525978/#post-4411285

Sponsored Links
Been up in the loft fitting some trunking, re-routing and tidying up the cctv wiring and siting the DVR as low as possible. I was sweating buckets up there. The difference in temperatures from where it was situated, just one metre off the floor and in a void between the ceiling joists was 31.9° v 25.8° and that difference is only going to increase as the weather hots up. No more fried units for me!

Last edited:
I’ve been complaining today! Unlike me, I know but I went to Sainsbury’s to do our weekly shop and went to get a trolley from the area with a sign saying that the trolleys are regularly sanitised. Well, they may have been sanitised but they were full of rubbish. Tissues, orange peel, even a full face shield. I recorded it and then went and showed it to the manageress. I was expecting an apology and some immediate action. All I got was a "We only have to sanitise the handles". When I then said "Do you expect your customers to clean the bloody crap out of them then?" She then played the "Don't you be abusive to me otherwise I’m not engaging with you" card. At this point I said I was going elsewhere and I did - straight to Waitrose. The weekly shop costed about the same as it was coming to at Sainsbury’s but it was harder to find my way around so it took me longer. Anyway, I’ve complained about the rude lazy manager to head office.

Just a few examples of what was in the first row of trolleys and they were about 15 deep with stuff in quite a number of the others.

A86E3A6E-9B09-455F-B59E-A6FD58DBB9C2.jpeg 6746A8A1-8831-4299-BC65-9E0F348D4D13.jpeg 5958389A-2E53-49EF-A360-4C6791044419.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Did you actually say the words bloody crap? There are ways to complain/get what you want. And you seem to have a way with you.

Last edited:
Theres also ways for a manager to talk to an unhappy customer.

Yep. Bloody crap because that’s what it was. If it was a man, I’d have said something stronger.

Last edited:
I have worked in retail and in other customer-facing roles. If a customer talked to me like that, I would say something.

You can be as forceful and strong-worded as you like, but don't swear!

I would probably have said something like, it's not pleasant for customers to use trolleys that have rubbish in them and the fact that you obviously don't care enough to empty them does not give customers a good first impression of the company.

Funny, that’s how I interpreted her initial response to me. I suppose you had to be there. I was.
If you talk to someone aggressively, you will get an aggressive response!

We are all human.

Surely you're not surprised by this?

If you talk to someone aggressively, you will get an aggressive response!

We are all human.

Surely you're not surprised by this?

Come on, "bloody crap" is not swearing! Anyway, she set the tone with her first response.

I simply told her that I had just collected a trolley from the sanitised trolley area, informed her on the state of the trolleys and showed her a clip of the recording I had made to save her having to go out to see what I was unhappy with. She immediately brushed me off with her "We only have to sanitise the handles" remark. In other words, I got the impression she was saying tough luck, we’ve done the bare ****ing minimum. Not what I would call a good first response from a manager to a dissatisfied customer. When she eventually said she would get one to see to it, I said thank you and walked away. While I was walking away she said loudly to my back "You’re welcome" in a condescending tone. Terrible customer service and rudeness. Like I said, you had to be there. Anyway, this is a what have you done today thread not an argument thread so I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Talking of threads, I’ve just done a service on Mrs Motties sewing machine. A basic strip, de-fluff and lubricate. I couldn’t for the life of me thread it up though, very fiddly. Anyway, now running super smooth and quiet so she's happy.

Productive day. In addition to working, saw the arrival of a small skip so I can tidy up the garden and finally get rid of all the plaster and tiles from the old kitchen. Then took my failed pool heatpump to the heat pump people and waiting while they fixed it (failed transformer for the fan). And got nails so I can finish the pergola.

Come on, "bloody crap" is not swearing! Anyway, she set the tone with her first response.

I simply told her that I had just collected a trolley from the sanitised trolley area, informed her on the state of the trolleys and showed her a clip of the recording I had made to save her having to go out to see what I was unhappy with. She immediately brushed me off with her "We only have to sanitise the handles" remark. In other words, I got the impression she was saying tough luck, we’ve done the bare ****ing minimum. Not what I would call a good first response from a manager to a dissatisfied customer. When she eventually said she would get one to see to it, I said thank you and walked away. While I was walking away she said loudly to my back "You’re welcome" in a condescending tone. Terrible customer service and rudeness. Like I said, you had to be there. Anyway, this is a what have you done today thread not an argument thread so I’ll leave it at that.

michael-douglas-falling-down.jpg

Today Mrs Mottie, myself, my son and daughter in law and our Grandson went to a petting zoo and had lunch. A great day and he enjoyed feeding all sorts of animals.

I heard laughing behind me when they took this picture of us with identical stances. :LOL:

51DF9C9C-5E61-48C4-85BA-7E35480CD3E9.jpeg

My allotment neighbour is away until Monday and he asked me to keep an eye on his plot in case it needs watering. Well, with the rain we’ve had it’s not been needed but he did say to help myself to some asparagus if I fancy some so I just have. They’ll go well with my poached eggs on toast for breakfast tomorrow. Can’t get much fresher than that unless I went over before breakfast! :mrgreen:

A6EB8D1D-B2F2-42CA-AA9C-D1AC95AC5760.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back