What have you been doing today?

Scrolling through new posts and the dozens with chynese characters.

I opened one the other day and it immediately triggered the anti virus software.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Went out shopping with my disabled wife this morning. Bumped into daughter and granddaughter so decided on a coffee in Costa located inside Tescos. As my wife uses the trolley to support her while shopping she pushed the trolley into Costa, placed it behind her chair, against a wall where it was out of the way of everyone and everything. Suddenly this 'hitler' of a manageress comes marching over and tells her, in a loud, aggressive manner, to leave the trolley outside the area. So my wife calmly tries to explain to her that she has to use it as a walking aid whilst shopping. Hitler rudely interrupts by saying, "I don't care what your reasons are it is not allowed in here as it's a fire hazard!" (Never known a shopping trolley to be a potential fire hazard unless it's loaded up with a few gallon drums of petrol, but never mind, we knew what she was implying). She then attempted to grab the trolley and take it away when I stood up and blocked her route. Told her if she took the trolley I would summon security and have her taken to the Tesco managers office for blatant disability discrimination which could result in her losing her job. She then went back on the track of it being a hinderance if people needed to get out if a fire broke out. I said, "In that case my wife will have the means to escape in a safe and controlled manner bu using the trolley." I asked, if she is not allowed to use the store shopping trolley as an aid, why have you allowed 3 young mums with baby buggies to bring them in, and why has the gentleman sitting half way down the row allowed to bring his personal 'recognisable' walking/shopping trolley in with him? She started muttering under her breath as she stormed off back into her office.
We sat and had our coffees and then went and found the Tesco manager to report what had happened and that, if he did not take her to task on it, we would be escalating the matter to head office.
He has promised to contact us after he has spoken to her. Even though it is a different company, Tesco are responsible for ensuring they stick to Tesco company policies and protocols.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It’s probably a store within a store complete with separate lease

Blup

It’s probably a store within a store complete with separate lease

Blup
Costa rent the floor space from Tesco but the Tesco manager says Costa have to abide the Tesco protocols and the only deviation they can make is if Costa policies outweigh Tesco ones. If that was the case they would have to prove theirs was a better policy and a different agreement would be en-acted. There is no excuse for breaking any discrimination laws. I tried to point out to the Costco woman that IF, a fire broke out, she would be putting my wife in a very vulnerable position regarding evacuation. Her reply was, "There is a door just there, I'm sure she could table shuffle."
Err, that is NOT the answer! Plus there is a big step up to get her feet over the threshold, which I am sure means it does NOT LEGALLY constitute as a fire door as there is no signage to say so. Yes, it can be used as an emergency exit, but so can the plate glass window behind us! Neither are designed to be so used though.
I will contact the manager on Monday to see if anything has been done about her.

Costa rent the floor space from Tesco but the Tesco manager says Costa have to abide the Tesco protocols and the only deviation they can make is if Costa policies outweigh Tesco ones. If that was the case they would have to prove theirs was a better policy and a different agreement would be en-acted. There is no excuse for breaking any discrimination laws. I tried to point out to the Costco woman that IF, a fire broke out, she would be putting my wife in a very vulnerable position regarding evacuation. Her reply was, "There is a door just there, I'm sure she could table shuffle."
Err, that is NOT the answer! Plus there is a big step up to get her feet over the threshold, which I am sure means it does NOT LEGALLY constitute as a fire door as there is no signage to say so. Yes, it can be used as an emergency exit, but so can the plate glass window behind us! Neither are designed to be so used though.
I will contact the manager on Monday to see if anything has been done about her.
Some people are in the wrong job, she sounds more like a prison officer

She’s probably just following company policy and she won’t be able to deviate from it.
I would imagine that it is their policy not to allow shopping trolleys into the coffee shop.

Exactly - it's a "fire regulation", perhaps, which I expect would trump someone's decision to misappropriate a shopping trolley as a mobility aid.
Like you can't ride a motorbike round the store "because you can't walk".
It's not her trolley, even. She can't drag a bit of shop furniture around to rest on, either.

Last edited:
They probably get people trying it on all day and have heard all the reasons/excuses under the sun from chancers wanting to bring their trolley in.

Went over the allotment this afternoon. First thing I did was to put the fire on….

D4C7B377-EDCF-4E5F-A72F-03C1BE39BEF6.jpeg

Second thing I did was put the kettle on….

36CC1DD5-FB7B-4AAD-92A0-6801A882351D.jpeg

Then I just sat there and listened to the crowd cheering at the nearby stadium - Hornchurch FC. There was a lot of cheering. Turned out they won 5-0. Painted a couple of 6”x 2” timbers to make some raised beds…and that was that. Went home. A pleasant afternoon. :giggle:

Exactly - it's a "fire regulation", perhaps, which I expect would trump someone's decision to misappropriate a shopping trolley as a mobility aid.
Like you can't ride a motorbike round the store "because you can't walk".
It's not her trolley, even. She can't drag a bit of shop furniture around to rest on, either.
They probably get people trying it on all day and have heard all the reasons/excuses under the sun from chancers wanting to bring their trolley in.

I hope neither of you ever find yourself, (or a close relative), disabled and facing the same kind of treatment.

It is plainly clear that my wife is physically disabled because of a historical broken neck. It has affected her stance and walking for many years and she has undergone a number of operations to try and enable her to lead as normal a life as possible.
Unlike some people who 'develop' hidden disabilities, when out in public, or claim to have a hidden disability in order to abuse the system and gain financial benefit.

Sponsored Links
Back