What have you been doing today?

Messed about with trying to fit a tall larder unit in my kitchen. No joy there so gave up. Went over the allotment, spent most of my time gassing with the plot holder next door but two from me (their plot backs onto their garden so they just come out of their back gate). They have a large round table and 8 chairs and they always serve up tea and biscuits mid-morning - trouble is, that’s usually three quarters of an hour wasted. Managed to repot some tomato, squash, aubergine and cauliflower seedlings that were gertting too big for their pots. Planted out my sweetcorn, cucumber, zinnea and cosmos plants, lost 4 pints of sweat and then went home. Had a tidy up in the kitchen. My son brought his wife’s car down, having charged the battery to get here, we left that on charge for a couple of hours and then I ran it up to my workshop in East London followed by Mrs Mottie with a tow rope in case I broke down. Parked it up and left it on charge. Going to go up in the week to fit an alternator on it. Came home, had a beer and in a minute I’m going to jump in the shower. In all, a long, hard, sweaty, fruitless day with nothing really achieved!

Sponsored Links
More agg today. Ovens are going to have to come out. Again! Getting sliiightly pìssed off with it now. Doesn’t help that I’ve got a shìt job to do on the DIL's car next week and I’ve got to get it up to my workshop. I've got my mum hassling me to come round and do a few little jobs in her house. Mrs Mottie has told me to take a break. I’m going over my allotment to calm down. I’m supposed to be retired and all I’m doing is running round like a blue arsed fly!

That's the trouble with being practical, every fecker wants a 'little job' doing. I think it would be better sometimes to be like my brother who doesn't have a practical bone in his body. If he has to do some job, he will completely mess it up and usually break whatever tools he's using into the bargain. Then muggins usually has to come in and try to rescue the situation.

You're part of the trapped in the middle generation - kids still wanting things one side and ageing parents the other sapping your time, energy and will to live.

Sponsored Links
Road sweeper been doing my road today.

Which means someone will probably start digging it all up within the week, rendering the sweeping pointless............

Completely rewired my kitchen ring circuit today. Just finished. 4 twin socket outlets and 3 singles. Still got the cookers, cabinet lights and extractor to do.
Some big amp stuff there. Back to the consumer unit? Are you having it signed off?

Some big amp stuff there. Back to the consumer unit? Are you having it signed off?
Nah. Don't need to. Same number of sockets that I started with but moved a couple of twin socket outlets and incorporated the three singles into the ring. (Previously, they were all spurs off of individual twin outlets). Didn’t need to touch the consumer unit.

You're part of the trapped in the middle generation - kids still wanting things one side and ageing parents the other sapping your time, energy and will to live.
Yep, Mrs Mottie calls us the sandwich generation.

Apart from being shocked at the change in the area and the people when she followed me up to the workshop (she hasn’t been there since March 15th 1990 when we moved house but kept the workshop), she said even more reason to get rid of the place and then I won’t be asked to fix cars any more. I can see her logic there…..

Apart from being shocked at the change in the area and the people when she followed me up to the workshop (she hasn’t been there since March 15th 1990 when we moved house but kept the workshop), she said even more reason to get rid of the place and then I won’t be asked to fix cars any more. I can see her logic there…..
I think she is hoping...

Dad 'stopped' work in 1980... started again in 1982 when I bought my first house. He fell in love with his tools again and did more shop work than before.

Maybe getting rid of the workshop will stop you but I think you need to loose the tools as well. The last thing you need is to be 'mending' car in the drive or on the roadside.

Yes, imagine one or two small changes in 34 years and since New Labour's revolution. :eek: Have you considered renting the workshop? They say you should always hang onto your assets. May give another nice pension, and commercial premises are usually less hassle than residential - tenants responsible for maintenance/improvements and no problem getting them out if a problem. Residential is getting a bit of a ball ache.

Reconnected my dishwasher, hit a snag and ended up replacing the soil stack. Hey ho!

Still up the workshop. Been here for hours hours putting an alternator on the DiL's car. C3. Pig of a job. I'm too old for all this shyt. Be lucky if I get my money for the parts back let alone our spare car returned without the low fuel light on. Kids! :rolleyes: Other peoples kids! :rolleyes::rolleyes: ;)

Still up the workshop. Been here for hours hours putting an alternator on the DiL's car. C3. Pig of a job. I'm too old for all this shyt. Be lucky if I get my money for the parts back let alone our spare car returned without the low fuel light on. Kids! :rolleyes: Other peoples kids! :rolleyes::rolleyes: ;)
And to crown it off, I left the workshop at 6.15 only to find it bloody gridlocked all round the backstreets so after less than a mile, I turned round and got back to the shop at 7.15, parked it up, jumped on my scooter and went home on that. Home in 25 minutes with a fair bit of weaving through the traffic. I’ve got to go past the workshop tomorrow as I’m working over the Olympic village so I’ll jump off the train on my way home and pick it up in the afternoon. Did nothing on the kitchen today and probably doing nothing tomorrow either. I’m itchin' for the kitchen!

Neighbours - that is the people next door not the organisation or the TV program.

Just mowed the back lawn. The Morello Cherry tree that was showing signs of a good crop this year now has over half the leaves are dead. Looking around the neighbour has had someone (Cause he does SFA himself) spray the honeysuckle in his garden - but it looks like the overspray has killed our tree. Really, really Pizzed Off!

Sponsored Links
Back