What have you bought today?

Nothing for myself but I've just made a donation to the family of that young lad who lost his life trying to save a suicide victim. What a terrible tragedy.

I've not heard about this, what happened?

Sponsored Links
A new garden shed. 20' x 10' Landlord popped round so we could explain what we want to do and he is very happy for us to go ahead. He even said if I wanted his sparky to disconnect the old shed supply and re-terminate it in the new one he can do that FOC. Treat a rented house with respect and you find you often have a good landlord when you want to do something.
Just need to start the groundwork now as it will be in a different place to the old one. :)

Sponsored Links
Bought nothing but took out a PAYG membership for our local Everyone Active sports centre. The local borough gives free swim sessions for the over 50’s on Mon, Tues and Weds afternoons as well as Sat and Sunday mid/late afternoons. They only let in 6 people per lane at one time and you have to book in advance using the app. All Covid friendly - you arrive with your trunks on under your clothes, undress at the poolside, leave your clothes there, swim and then you are allowed in the changing rooms at the end of the session to shower (if you want), get dressed and go home. I used to swim for West Ham 50 years ago and used to do a two hour non-stop solid swim five days a week before school but I’m well past that stage now so I’m starting off in the slow swim lane to see how I get on first!

Last edited:
My wife and son go one weekday and one weekend day when I am able to join them. On a good day I can still swim around a mile with the occasional stop for 30 seconds about every 15 lengths. Stepson usually does just over a mile non-stop but then he is over 40 years younger than me.
Used to swim for my school as a teen and gained my gold life saving certificate. (Can still remember the Holganeilson(?) method for pumping water out the lungs). When I was at CP I applied for a job as a lifeguard. Passed the practical, (50 metres in under 55seconds followed by 100m freestyle no time limit. Did that in just over 2 1/2 minutes), then they said what the hours were. Still work Sat/Sun and ALL Bank Holidays on a rota basis and all at single pay. No day off in lieu for BH's either so basically if your rota fell on a BH you actually lost the benefit of it. Turned it down before he even offered me it.

A forty quid haircut for my Susie. She absolutely hates having her haircut. Smells a lot better though! :LOL:

Before and after.

AD9913CD-8111-4DB8-B7DD-B3A270005AAD.jpeg

Mottie, have you always had a dog?

Andy
No. Had two as a child/teenager - Susie one and then Susie two. :rolleyes: Mrs Mottie had never had a dog or cat. We got Susie three 9 years ago when both our kids had left home and the house seemed empty. Big responsibility though, like having a baby again - we plan our work life, social life and holidays around her! Had a couple of cats but they tend to look after themselves. You?

Some strong corner brackets for added strength for my new shed base and 30 galvanised joist hangers and s/s screws to suit.
Along with paying for the wood for the base my bank balance thinks it is suffering an arterial bleed! :eek::eek::eek:

A few more premium bonds for me and Mrs M to round our holdings to a nice even number. Just this minute bought them so in time for the June draw.

Just arrived, possibly from abroad due to the passport. 10 Asparagus crowns for the allotment, gotta get them in 'tout de suite'. :rolleyes:

DB7A8B9B-1045-4501-99A8-1A6FB7B4809A.jpeg

Edit: Looks like they came from Devon so the 'passport' is in case they are exported I imagine.

Last edited:
Mrs Mottie has just bought a years joint membership to the RHS. Oh joy! :rolleyes: Luckily, she didn’t spend any actual money - she bought them using Tesco vouchers. Phew!

Sponsored Links
Back