What have you had for dinner

Had a well sauteed 0.5kg joint of topside rubbed all over with an Oxo cube @ 60deg C for 6hrs in the Ninja Foodi then wrapped it in tinfoil while . . . . Chantenay carrots, potatoe, swede, runner beans, petite pois peas & a knob of butter were in a sealed roasting bag to bake @190deg C for 40mins. Topped off with mushroom & onion gravy all served on/in a Yorkshire pudding that we call a "dustbin lid".

All the best chef's are men.

And all walloped down in five minutes (y)

Sponsored Links
Mrs Mottie is one of the slowest eaters I know. We are always waiting for her to finish - she's barely half way through when everyone else has finished. Our grandson calls her Nanny chew chew!

Finished off the veg. This batch of English chantenay carrots doing the rounds really are tasty, sliced potatoe & runner beans chucked in a roasting bag with a knob of butter to bake @190c for 40mins. Brushed some frozen wild caught Cod in melted butter then wrapped each fillet in a tinfoil pouch, popped 'em in alongside the roast bag after 20mins. With 10mins to go made up my own parsley sauce with me mam's secret ingredient & let it gently simmer till all served.

All the best chef's are men.

Sponsored Links
Nice bit of grub tonight. Scallops, steak and some sort of cherry dessert. Got a couple of free glasses of bubbles too on account of it being my birthday.

IMG_0428.jpeg
IMG_0430.jpeg
IMG_0431.jpeg

I did a massive pot of stew yesterday evening. My normal cooking during the cold wet months.
I am surprised, after 75 years on this earth (only about ¾ of that time cooking) I had not, until yesterday, appreciated the difference between turnips and rutabaga (swedes).
I've always included turnips in my stews, but never rutabagas.
Now having tasted them, I actully prefer them to turnips. Rutabagas are slightly sweeter than turnips. They store more easily and for longer.

The pot is so full I'll have to boil the spuds separately until there's room in the pot. I shouldn't have used turnips and rutabagas.
There's still pumpkins in the garden but I've never been a fan of those.

A pile of chicken breast, left over from the Sunday dinner, so we decided to see how a chicken a la crème might turn out, for todays dinner. Chicken, onions, mushrooms, garlic, and my home made white wine, all fried up, and just waiting for the cream to go in, then simmered for 20 minutes - last thing before serving. Served with boiled rice, and a glass of my homemade...

A roast. We couldn’t decide on chicken or beef so we had one of each.

IMG_5807.jpeg

A roast. We couldn’t decide on chicken or beef so we had one of each.

View attachment 324713
Interesting that the meat isn't the centre of the dish but the pudding is. You must be Yorkshire?

Looks lovely but -1 point for purring the gravy over the roasties. I prefer mine salted.

White wine for red meat?

Ah. Empty bottle.
That was the 1st course then? :giggle:

We had the usual F&C, from our usual chippy yesterday, and as usual - they were exceptional, I don't know how they do it at the price and size. Open all day, 5 days a week, and there fish is always fresh, not the usual around here, frozen. Two fish, one chips, £11.90, and more than enough surplus to satisfy the dog.

Today was left over roast pork, from a joint cooked a couple of weeks ago, and the remains frozen, sprouts, mash, roast, carrots, Yorkie, stuffing, apple sauce, and gravy.

We had the usual F&C, from our usual chippy yesterday, and as usual - they were exceptional, I don't know how they do it at the price and size. Open all day, 5 days a week, and there fish is always fresh, not the usual around here, frozen. Two fish, one chips, £11.90, and more than enough surplus to satisfy the dog.
One of the few things i miss being abroad.

A meal fit for a king.

Sponsored Links
Back