What have you had for dinner

Earlier, we had a lamb hotpot - made and frozen some weeks ago, from the leftovers of a lamb joint. It tasted better tonight, than when it was freshly made. At the moment, she's in the kitchen, cooking an apple pie and a chicken, leak and mushroom pie. The latter made with chicken left over from Sunday dinner.

Sponsored Links
I've never had or tried sweet potatoes. Everyone I know, suggests they don't like them, and I'm not adventurous enough to risk trying them myself, without a plan b.

I've never had or tried sweet potatoes. Everyone I know, suggests they don't like them, and I'm not adventurous enough to risk trying them myself, without a plan b.
Emperor's New Clothes, for me anyway.
The poor relation of the humble-yet-marvellous chip (y).

Last night, steak and ale pie, air-fried carrots, sprouts, and gravy :p

Sponsored Links
I'd much rather have a sweet potato than a sprout on my plate on any given Sunday.
It's a strange taste to get used to but a dash of SP mixed in with mash makes things interesting, especially if you offset the sweetness with chives or parsley. The G.Kidz luvz 'em.

Last night, steak and ale pie, air-fried carrots, sprouts, and gravy :p

I've had an air-frier for a few years, but Avril has yet to try it. I stopped using it, because I wasn't happy with how difficult it was to properly clean the baskets, but I see now you can buy basket liners.

I've never had or tried sweet potatoes.
I love 'em. Mrs Mottie sometimes comments that I must be sponsored by the sweet potato advisory board! Just cook them like you would a jacket potato either in the oven or in the microwave. A good source of fibre. They cook a bit quicker than a jacket potato. When cooked, cut 'em in half, put a knob of butter on them plus salt and black pepper to taste and dig in. Pukka. (y)

Last edited:
I had stale bombay mix for dinner last night.

The chippy had shut by the time I got home...

Had a well sauteed 0.5kg joint of topside rubbed all over with an Oxo cube @ 60deg C for 6hrs in the Ninja Foodi then wrapped it in tinfoil while . . . . Chantenay carrots, potatoe, swede, runner beans, petite pois peas & a knob of butter were in a sealed roasting bag to bake @190deg C for 40mins. Topped off with mushroom & onion gravy all served on/in a Yorkshire pudding that we call a "dustbin lid".

All the best chef's are men.

I've had an air-frier for a few years, but Avril has yet to try it. I stopped using it, because I wasn't happy with how difficult it was to properly clean the baskets, but I see now you can buy basket liners.
You don't have to properly clean them, & if that is your thing then there are things you can do with white vinegar that takes just a few minutes at low temp.

I rarely add oil to anything going in, I rely on the natural fats collecting in the outer basket & pre-heating to kill off any nasties before the actual cooking of food. I'll wipe the inner basket clean but most things I airfry benefit from that hot fat sitting just below it in the outer basket.

Try it with bacon. 10-11mins @ 200C & don't bother to turn it over half way . . . .

Had a well sauteed 0.5kg joint of topside rubbed all over with an Oxo cube @ 60deg C for 6hrs in the Ninja Foodi then wrapped it in tinfoil while . . . . Chantenay carrots, potatoe, swede, runner beans, petite pois peas & a knob of butter were in a sealed roasting bag to bake @190deg C for 40mins. Topped off with mushroom & onion gravy all served on/in a Yorkshire pudding that we call a "dustbin lid".

All the best chef's are men.
Nobody took you up on that dinner date in Abersoch at 1pm?

Try it with bacon. 10-11mins @ 200C & don't bother to turn it over half way . . . .
I bung a few rashers in, no oil, topped with a few halved tomatoes. 180° for 7 mins. Pull them out and stick them on a split and toasted sesame seed bagel. Great for elevenses. I always wash ours out though after every use.

Sponsored Links
Back