What is the furthest you have traveled without using a plane on any part of the journey?

Sponsored Links
Southampton (I think) to New Zealand, via ship. Though I was only about 2 at the time.

Last edited:
200 miles by car from home to Newcastle
450 miles by ferry Newcastle to Bergen ( Norway )
1200 miles by car Bergen to Yllas ( Finland )

Return journey via Sweden was longer

Sponsored Links
Durban to Athens by boat. I drove the boat for a short distance.

Hello Sailor!

IMG_0097.jpeg

Kranjka Gora (top end of the old Yugoslavia) on Honda Pan European J909 LTY. Brilliant trip!
John :)

Last edited:
Portsmouth to Hong kong via suez canal then Japan, Alaska, Acapulco, panama canal, Bermuda back to Portsmouth. Not sure of the actual miles and left out loads of places like Singapore, Sydney, Vancouver, San Francisco.

If you ask a certain member here, he'll say: "My local high street".
Any other trip is by helicopter or private jet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Spain, we went by coach late 80's or early 90's, today due to DVT problems I could not use planes, so not even bothered renewing passport. Caravan holidays in Europe clearly drove all the way, but ferry costs stopped them.

Done a few lengthy road trips in States late 1990s. One was Houston, Texas to Grand Canyon, Arizona and back. With a few detours was best part of 3,000 miles. Quite a lot in just under 3 weeks, but in a big Buick with V8, aircon, cruise control and their excellent roads it didn't feel as gruelling as it would doing that kind of mileage in UK. Other trip was NYC to Tennessee, but more sensibly this was only one way.

Done a fair few miles in South Africa, from Johannesbury/Pretoria, down to Durban/Pietermaritzburg - then down to Cape town taking in the Garden and Wine Route.

Drove to Czech Republic for all of Nov and Dec 2021, staying in small town on far side of the country near Ostrava. Was on my own and did the 1100 miles leaving Bristol on Monday morning, arriving CZ Weds lunchtime. Was knackered - slept most of a day on arrival. Return trip was a lot more leisurely and spent 4 nights in rural France (Calais area, near Watten) before getting ferry to Blighty.

Last edited:
Can't compete with you guys on distance.

Essex to northern Norway by WW2 truck & ferry (in the 'nineties, not 'forties)

Liverpool to Portland Bill by car and back in one day. 548 mile round trip, during the late 80's. Foreign travel has never interested me.

Liverpool to Portland Bill by car and back in one day. 548 mile round trip, during the late 80's. Foreign travel has never interested me.
Only been to nearby countries ie Scandinavian, France, Luxemburg, Belgium & Holland by road/sea.

I don't fly.

Sponsored Links
Back