What is the furthest you have traveled without using a plane on any part of the journey?

Sponsored Links
No, don't worry about Mottie. He's our attack dog, but will roll over and be friendly when he gets to know you.

You are most welcome (unless you really are Himmy or a raving lefty ;) )- room for all, the more the merrier. Welcome to DIYnot.
I'm certainly not your mate Himmy, but I am definitely a lefty (but, I hope, not raving) so will bear it in mind...

New York, New York to Denver, Colorado in a 1975 Buick. A car so large it had its own magnetic pole. Passed through St. Louis on the way out west and eventually found a camp site in the Rocky Mountains where you had to keep an eye on the larder lest 'coons n' critters made off with your lunch and you could hang out early in the morning watching humming birds sample sugar water left out for them.
Someone would always have a gitar handy for evenings around the campfire and one memorable night we went on a hunt for ice and found a huge pink bear left in the box! Why he was there we could never figure out and although we wanted to bring him home our luck was out after someone else won the lottery. You can't buy a drink in Arkansas on a sunday; and Tennesee road cops have no sense of humour. But they do carry alot of guns. They're always right. We were speeding. :mrgreen: Kept going all the way to the state line and haven't been back since.

New York, New York to Denver, Colorado in a 1975 Buick. A car so large it had its own magnetic pole. Passed through St. Louis on the way out west and eventually found a camp site in the Rocky Mountains where you had to keep an eye on the larder lest 'coons n' critters made off with your lunch and you could hang out early in the morning watching humming birds sample sugar water left out for them.
Someone would always have a gitar handy for evenings around the campfire and one memorable night we went on a hunt for ice and found a huge pink bear left in the box! Why he was there we could never figure out and although we wanted to bring him home our luck was out after someone else won the lottery. You can't buy a drink in Arkansas on a sunday; and Tennesee road cops have no sense of humour. But they do carry alot of guns. They're always right. We were speeding. :mrgreen: Kept going all the way to the state line and haven't been back since.

Did several thousand miles in a mid 90s Buick Century - round trip from Houston to Grand Canyon and back. Such nice cars, must be my favourite US car brand. Big, look good and incredibly comfortable. It just eat up the miles. Such a shame that US roads are full of monotonous Euroboxes these days - could be anywhere. Also really liked the Lincoln Town Cars and Chrysler New Yorkers.

Tennessee is my favourite state. Visited the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg - which oddly is in a a dry county. Ironic that it's made there, but you can't buy a shot of it.

Sponsored Links
Did several thousand miles in a mid 90s Buick Century - round trip from Houston to Grand Canyon and back. Such nice cars, must be my favourite US car brand. Big, look good and incredibly comfortable. It just eat up the miles. Such a shame that US roads are full of monotonous Euroboxes these days - could be anywhere.

Tennessee is my favourite state. Visited the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg - which oddly is in a a dry county. Ironic that it's made there, but you can't buy a shot of it.
Never made it to the Grand Canyon - did you do the mule trek down to the bottom?
I think the suspension on those Buicks were composed of big bed springs and marshmallows. Never felt a bump and remarkably quiet for such a big vehicle.
I couldn't pick a favourite state but one of my favourite places are the Catskill Mountains in upstate New York. Fantastic scenery, great camping and all the booze you can carry - the Southern States are great but it's like going to another country in some ways. ( I'm obliged at this point to give a shout out for the Blue Ridge Mountains, on pain of torment. :cautious: )

Never made it to the Grand Canyon - did you do the mule trek down to the bottom?
I think the suspension on those Buicks were composed of big bed springs and marshmallows. Never felt a bump and remarkably quiet for such a big vehicle.
I couldn't pick a favourite state but one of my favourite places are the Catskill Mountains in upstate New York. Fantastic scenery, great camping and all the booze you can carry - the Southern States are great but it's like going to another country in some ways. ( I'm obliged at this point to give a shout out for the Blue Ridge Mountains, on pain of torment. :cautious: )

No, didn't go down into canyon. Stayed in B&B in small town called Williams and just drove around various vantage points on the upper edges. Don't know The Catskills, closest we got was Greylock Mountain, west of Boston. Did drive through West Virginia on the way to Tenn, fantastic scenery and very picturesque. Blue ridge Mountain, made famous by Stan and Olly.

Love The States, would live there tomorrow if they would have me. But I think you can only get in if you have buckets of cash or you're a wetback. If I could find an American lady who wants and ageing Limey, that's probably my only hope. :(

Last edited:
South wales to south of france by car, twice.

A friend's son is involved with the church and went to The States for a few months. While over there he met a lady and later married her. Now lives in Kansas. To say I'm envious is an understatement.
Kansas? Rather him than me!
Miles after mile; hour after endless hour of monotony travelling through a flat, arid landscape enlivened only by one of those 'nodding donkey' oil rigs you get every few miles. Dorothy can keep Kansas for all i care. And her little dawg, too. :mrgreen:

Kansas? Rather him than me!
Miles after mile; hour after endless hour of monotony travelling through a flat, arid landscape enlivened only by one of those 'nodding donkey' oil rigs you get every few miles. Dorothy can keep Kansas for all i care. And her little dawg, too. :mrgreen:

No more boring than soggy Bristol city centre on a cool November evening stuck in rush hour traffic. Know which one I'd choose.

No more boring than soggy Bristol city centre on a cool November evening stuck in rush hour traffic. Know which one I'd choose.
Bristol has a fine city centre, full of Georgian grandeur.

Kansas is...

tumble-weed.gif

Sponsored Links
Back