What material to use for sink surround (to be tiled.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been renovating our guest room and have built a vanity unit for a small sink in the corner of the room.

there is a small work surface which fits around the sink (100mm at its widest) which I plan to tile with small mosaic tiles. The sink will only get occasional use but the surface will get splashed from the sink.

I soon saw the error of my ways when I made the surface from MDF only to realise it would not be suitable to use near any moisture or to tile onto.

I’ve replaced to surround with 18mm marine ply. I was wondering what I need to due to prepare this surface for tiling? Laying cement board seems overkill as it’s such a small area and will not get excessive loading. Can I tile directly onto the ply? Should I use a flexible adhesive and grout?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Sponsored Links
to answer your question:
cut the hole for the basin bowl in the ply but tile the ply before dropping in the basin to sit on top of the tile.
flexi adhesive & grout or standard adhesive & grout - either will be fine.
presumably your taps will come through the basin rim and you will have a tile splashback.
prep fix the taps & waste etc. before dropping the basin into the hole.
seal all raw edges esp. the cut-out.

the ply should be packed up at the edges to provide a backing for some wood trim.
the trim must be set high enough not to interfere with opening any doors or drawer - usually not an isssue with small vanities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back