What qualifacations are required to be alarm installer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He there , im 14 and very intrested in alarms , and would like to be and alarm installer when im 18 and wondering what qualifactions etc are required to be an installer, i have installed a few alarms for family ( Accenta G4 , C&K 800l, Scantronic 9448+ .....

Thanks Nathan

Sponsored Links
Guys, this thread should be read in conjunction with mine above asking about Protec 6000 sounder beacons. This is one of the young engineers I mention in my post. Give them all they need, turn out your vans and sheds and let's have all those unwanted bits.

Nathan I would suggest that as well as learning about how the alarms are installed and operated you also learn how they work at the electronics level.

"We always fit an end of line resistor"

"" Why ? ""

[1] "Because the book tells us to"

or

[2] " because the control panel measures that resistance and when the measured value changes the control panel knows something has happened on that line. From the change in measured value the control panel can determine was has happened on the line. "

Also ( if you have not already done so ) learn the basics of electronics to help you diagnose and find solutions to problems that you will come across as you develop your career.

Sponsored Links
Knew you would jump on this Yale.

For a start

http://www.cityandguilds.com/2212.html

Electricals would help, as most here are sparks too.

Then there is the fire qualifications, oh, you dont do fire. So thats a waste of time putting up a link.

Then there is access control, oops you dont do that so DDA and other legal requirements .

Locksmithing, the BLA / MLA although a self reg body do set rules and are accepted by Police and Insurance companies.

Yale alarms, hmmmmmmmmmm screwdriver, website that makes you look like yale.

Whats the better?

You crack me up.
What understanding do you have of the items you use?
We can break it down to resistor level.................you?

Well , i know basic electrical ring circuits, spurs etc . Also know how to operate panels + programme them Once ive had a good rumage though the engineers guide , how to install and where to mount bell boxes and the rest , so what exactly do i need to take on in school and college to become a insured INTRUDER alarm fitter,

Thanks for the detailed replys aswell

Stop wasting time on DIYnot.com and get on with your school work!

(From the father of a 12 y.o. alarm fanatic!)

Well , i know basic electrical ring circuits, spurs etc . Also know how to operate panels + programme them Once ive had a good rumage though the engineers guide , how to install and where to mount bell boxes and the rest , so what exactly do i need to take on in school and college to become a insured INTRUDER alarm fitter,

Thanks for the detailed replys aswell
May i ask what you meant in an earlier thread where you took over 'a system' (Aritech iirc)?
Also, why would you be needing stickers/screen printing for your bellboxes?

Just wondering how this ties in with being 14 yr old and still in school?

As for the aritech panel i binned it and put a accenta in, i like people to know my name for the screen printing

As for the aritech panel i binned it and put a accenta in, i like people to know my name for the screen printing
But your post suggested you were taking over an existing system that is in use.
This is now starting to bug me, but i was wondering how to default or get round the locked engineers code as i want to take over the system without changing the pannel, the pannel is a Aritech cd95 installed by shorrock/inital and the want £75 to come and press a few keys to default it. I know i could be bob the ***** but i need to know

Then this.
I service and fit a fair few alarms every now and again. So i was wondering were i could get my own design printed onto a bell box or get a few high quality stickers made up.

Seems very odd for a 14 yr old.

14yr old boy messing with fused spurs!!!!!

like to see the home insurance pay out when the homes go up in smoke.

It's not odd, I have a 12.y.o who lives and breathes alarms. Cut the lad some slack, he's fascinated by the technology.

Just to let you know how bad it is, can you remember any obsessions from your youth? Was it cricket? Football? Cars? Motorbikes? In our house there's an embargo on alarm talk at certain times, the house is full of smoke detectors and testing is limited to Saturdays only, his bedroom is festooned with wires and our evenings are punctuated by beeps, sirens and shrieks. Maplins makes him go weak at the knees and he spends all hours on Youtube watching all the videos of other lads testing their setups. He has even made contact (carefully monitored) with two other young fanatics on Skype to exchange alarm gossip. Is this healthier than endless video games or footie or watching Wimbledon for two weeks? Well at least he's learning basic electronics and feeding an enquiring mind.

Like I said, cut the lad some slack and give him some encouragement.

Postscript: in answer to the quip above about fused spurs: ours has his panel connected via a plug to the mains and he knows the rule: if he ever opens the panel with it plugged in, the lot goes straight in the bin. I'm happy that this is safe but if anybody on here cares to suggest a better alternative I'm grateful for the advice.

I have a c&k 700l wired on a plug no difference to a fused spur excePt you can unplug it

14yr old boy messing with fused spurs!!!!!

like to see the home insurance pay out when the homes go up in smoke.

I refuse to touch the consumer unit but im confident i know what im doing with spurs on a ring circuit i do it by my diy book and my loaf

I ALWAYS WORK ON A DEAD CIRCUIT so shoud everybody else
I wouldnt like to argue with 240volts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back