What's a good Philip's screwdriver make ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm sick of struggling with Phillips screws that are stuck and the head gets mashed up.I assume most are Phillip's size 2 ,but might they be pozidrive ?

What's the best screwdriver to move them ?

Ive looked at them and theres a choice of laser cut heads to grip more,(steel)

Or chrome vanadium which I'm guessing would be very tough and not wear ?
But would it be too smooth and slip out ?

Any advice please ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No idea,

But I have a set of Halfords professional screw drivers (2 sets to be precise) and they've never let me down, used them for all sorts, using them as rudimentary chisels, hole punches, oh and unscrewing all manner of flat and posi drive screws. I've rarely come across a screw they didn't work on that wasn't already mangled.

For mangled screws I usually have a set of mole grips or pliers made by laser that seem to grip everything

Hi, I'm sick of struggling with Phillips screws that are stuck and the head gets mashed up. I assume most are Phillip's size 2 ,but might they be pozidrive

Are you in USA? They still use phillips screws. The rest of the world, not so much.

Or are you mending a 1960's car, such as a Cortina? They may have phillips screws.

if you are trying to use a phillips screwdriver on PZ screws, you are doomed to disapointment.

A close-up photo of the head of one of these screws (before mangling) will tell us.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm in the UK, so I need to get a pozi size pz2 then ?
Thanks

chrome vanadium which I'm guessing would be very tough and not wear ?
But would it be too smooth and slip out ?

Thanks
In my experience Chrome Vanadium is a name put on spanners etc. to make them look good so you're right it would slip out ;) You can google C.Van if you want the technical details.

There is no "best" screwdriver for removing a screw. I'd not believe anyone that says otherwise. But if you want to go down that route, I'd nominate the Chinese wooden handled flat and phillips drivers I got from the discount store by me in 1989, and which are still used regularly.

Use a Pozi driver on a pozi screw of the right size (PZ1, 2 or 3) same principle for Philips.

If you are rounding off the screw heads, then it might be your technique not the driver

"Stanley" screwdriver sets are rather annoying, being USA-centric they include Phillips drivers, which are best thrown in the bin to avoid future annoyance.

They list them as "cross point" without saying if they are Phillips or Pozidriv.
tenor.gif

edit: On zooming in , they are Phillips, the picture didn't load at all first time.

In my experience Chrome Vanadium is a name put on spanners etc. to make them look good so you're right it would slip out ;) You can google C.Van if you want the technical details.

It's a steel alloy which is both hard and tough, not easily broken or deformed. It's still a common and good alloy for most tools, and the chrome alloy (not chrome plating) gives some resistance to rust. Sometimes the tips are sandblasted to take the shine off (may look black) though a driver that fits correctly should not slip, even if polished. Especially PZ.

If you look at your grandad's old screwdrivers, you will find the tips are worn out of shape and the shafts may be bent. He probably had to true up the tips with a file or grindstone. Really cheap screwdrivers are still made with carbon steel, and are "throw-away" as they wear quickly.

Chrome Molybdenum is still harder, and often used for interchangeable driver bits on power tools, and some knives, as it does not wear much, but it is more brittle and can crack. It is non-magnetic.

p.s.
A retired engineer of my acquaintance was telling me about the old steel stockholder's catalogue he found, from the days when engineers and toolmakers used to make their own tools. It listed hundreds of alloys with different properties. Now, there are apparently far fewer different steels on the market, as common multipurpose alloys wil do almost everything most workshops and factories need.

At the risk of telling people what they may know, Philips screws are designed cam out so when used in a factory a power tool won't damage the screw.

Pozidrive is for building rather than factory assembly

JIS is the Japanese Industrial Screw similar in intent to the Phillips but different enough to bugger up the heads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back