What's the "Rolls Royce" of Boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to get my CH/HW system changed from an open vented to sealed system with a new Condensing Combi Boiler to serve 11 radiators + HW for 1 bathroom and kitchen tap.

What is the most efficient Boiler in the market that money can buy?
Any advice will be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When I compared the price of a Vaillant Ecotech with a Viessmann recently the Viessmann was actually cheaper.

Be aware however that Viessmann boilers dont seem to be normally held in stock anywhere and the Company seem very disorganised!

They do look very good boilers but I am not sure if thats enough.

I have twice applied to go on their training course but both times I received no reply!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I think perhaps you are not asking the right question - the most efficient boiler that you can buy is an electric boiler which operates at about 99.5% efficiency or a combined heat and power unit;) .

The stated efficiency of a boiler is only part of the equation - why are you asking the question. Is it so your running costs will be as low as possible, for 'Green' Issues, etc?

If it is just that you want a reasonably efficient boiler, which will give you minimum problems, reasonable life expectancy, reasonable maintenance costs and is built well I would say Worcester Bosch, Keston a lot of others will say Valliant.

Thanks for the replies.

The reason why I asked the question is, I currently have an AGA boiler/ cooker which I find very costly to run. Also not happy with the performance e.g. on demand hot water, unless the boiler is kept running 24/7.

So, what I'm looking for is a bolier with: low running costs, reasonable maintenance costs (relatively speaking), high quality construction. Green issues are surely important too, but running costs are more so ;)
joepublic

joepublic said:
Thanks for the replies.

The reason why I asked the question is, I currently have an AGA boiler/ cooker which I find very costly to run. Also not happy with the performance e.g. on demand hot water, unless the boiler is kept running 24/7.

Has it been serviced properly?..........I think there`s a good market for them S/Hand... ;) I thought the principle of them was to run constantly :oops:...just connect it to a solar water heating system an make sure you`ve got adequate hot water storage capacity

]I would say Worcester Bosch, Keston a lot of others will say vaillant

you're having a giraffe, keston !

poor analogy as Rolls Royce are probably the most inefficient car you can find when looking at fuel efficiency

rolls-royce in terms of cars are purely bmw's

proper rolls-royces are jet engines and i believe these to be on a par with general electric!

anyhow I would vote viessmann, although my friend has an atag and i'd say that build quality was up there.

lorraine

ewww

thats all well and good gaz but how long will you have to wait for one of you fine upstanding lads to attend when the PCB goes

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's no problem they come out next day and it's same pcb as 105he so it's proven reliable part.

OTOH I can't think of any boiler that won't economically last five years. True there is the odd exception, but what is a manufacturer really offering with a 5 year guarantee? An insurance policy. Doesn't really say anything about the quality of the boiler, just says, our marketing department are trying like mad to get back some market share since we've been stumped on our main stay the back boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back