When a 13A SFCU just will not do!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Got a call today to have a look at a faulty shower circuit, they had had an "electrician :?:" in yesterday. To rectify a problem at the shower pull cord isolator switch. I am not sure what that problem was but I guess the pull cord was jamming and also a loose connection at the terminals as the occupants of the house claimed the pull cord would not operate and they could smell burning.
Anyway the "electrician's :?:" remedial work was not quite up to the requirements!
As you can see above
The shower was rated at 9.5kW output on 6.0mm T&E 40A MCB on the non RCD protected side of a split board.
I can't believe they did not put a notice up at the CU regarding the two versions of BS7671 wiring colours!

Sponsored Links
Is that the main coming down from the ceiling, through the spur unit then back up again into an isolator with a pull switch in the bathroon.
I cannot understand, if its protected by a 40amp MCB the original "electrician" didn't simply take the mains directly into the pull switch.
What have you done to remedy the matter?

blimey! just shows there are no limits to the depths of bodginess that 'electricians', diyers or the damn stupid will go to!

Sponsored Links
I recently came across a bathroom where the shower cable had been run up the wall to the shower unit and plastered over.
It wasn't protected by a metal sheath . Although these don't really offer much protection. Someone had drilled into the wall to insert a rawlplug.
The drill had gone right through the centre of the 6mm cable , missing both conductors but wrecking the earth wire.
The result was the shower had no earth!

a little surprised the 13A fuse did not blow. or was it a screw ?
The fuse in FCU did blow, not that sure it is 13A, as the fuse holder is now welded to the face plate.
Is that the main coming down from the ceiling, through the spur unit then back up again into an isolator with a pull switch in the bathroon.
The SFCU is being used as the isolator, so the two sets of cables are the mains supply and the load side to the shower.
I cannot understand, if its protected by a 40amp MCB the original "electrician" didn't simply take the mains directly into the pull switch.
I can't understand why the so called electrician claims to be an electrician
What have you done to remedy the matter?
I have disconnected the supply and pulled the cables up in to the loft, R1+R2 and IR tested the cables to see what extent of damage has been done to the insulation. Charged for the call out, then quoted for the remedial work and moving the MCB over to RCD side.

I recently came across a bathroom where the shower cable had been run up the wall to the shower unit and plastered over.
It wasn't protected by a metal sheath . Although these don't really offer much protection. Someone had drilled into the wall to insert a rawlplug.
The drill had gone right through the centre of the 6mm cable , missing both conductors but wrecking the earth wire.
The result was the shower had no earth!

Isn't that common? The electrics in our house are all like that, and yes one was drilled into :D The result was a very unhappy DNO man having to come and replace the main fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back