When cheque system ends ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a sole trader poor painter & decci :( Don't see quite what alternative I will have to being paid by cheque. I suspect I will be of a too low turnover to afford a machine for debit / credit cards. What are your plans??

Tho if it dont happen till 2018 i should be retired then.. ;)

Sponsored Links
on line payments whilst your there

they can transfer over the phone

or indeed cash
they will introduce a service to cover for checks but it will be inconvenient and possibly expensive
people will adapt and by 1 year after the switchover people will fall in line and find a cheap way to transfer money ;)

we encourage our customers to make bacs payments. Cash is a pain in the arse as it costs us to pay it in.

Cash! Cash! Cash! I like cash!

What's this nonsense about paying it in? You don't want to do that!

No more cheques = no more excuses for customers not to pay me in cold hard wonga.

Keeps it nice and simple! ;)

Sponsored Links
It's easy to get paid by credit card and you'll get more jobs.

and the credit card company gets more money - who do you think pays for your customers "insurance" when paying by cc?
No doubt in the US of A they've never heard of debit cards? We accept both, but credit cards incur a surcharge for our clients and then they very rapidly show a debit card.

and the credit card company gets more money - who do you think pays for your customers "insurance" when paying by cc?
No doubt in the US of A they've never heard of debit cards? We accept both, but credit cards incur a surcharge for our clients and then they very rapidly show a debit card.

Where do I start, to look into accepting them?

Your bank would be first port of call to set up a Merchant Account. You don't have to "buy/rent" their hardware, for this you can look/shop around but you do have to have a Merchant Account.

check the costs of setting up a Merchant Account with them, and do compare those costs with a "regular" Merchant Account banks can offer - you'll be surprised at how different the tariffs can be, specially when accepting credit cards.

What about PayPal, is that an alternative ? seems to work fine when buying from ebay.
Nick

Paypal =
rather expensive for the "seller"
by some regarded as not very safe

Hmmmmm you know I can not understand what it is with people thinking they have to work with cash and hide their income from the tax man

The tax man is not stupid, he can tell when this is going on and can estimate ( usually well over the top ) on what tax is due.

Legally, you can do the same thing especially with a Good Accountant, my tax bill on a £180k turn over last year ?????? ~ a token £1 .Other than a bit of petrol, a few hotel nights and the odd staitionary, the rest is all mine

and what are you going to do when cash dissappears too -- I think it will all be electronic soon, even down to transactions of a few pence

Sponsored Links
Back