Which one is the hugher quality valve? And where to buy?

29 Sep 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I've had a few leaks from the spindles of my towel rads. Those leaky valves seem lower quality than another valve I found today in my spare parts cupboard.

IMG_20240320_000101~2 (1).jpg

IMG_20240320_000125~2 (1).jpg

The bigger one is the one that's been leaking. The one with the brass (I assume) is the one I unearthed that I think is higher quality? Where can I get more of those brass ones? I think Screwfix and Toolstation probably only stock the crappy ones. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
I would suggest going to a dedicated plumbers merchant rather than one of the cheepo companies.
Google? But you really need to speak to them face to face for a recommendation. Look for one or two in your area.
Sponsored Links
Sadly, the ones you have found are not likely to be better quality and they will eventually leak as well.
I try to avoid the ones where the shaft is held by a circlip. If there is a gland nut, you can at least, have ago at repacking the gland to stop the leak.
If the valve is regularly turned on and off, I would consider a decent quality TRV and lockshield.
Anything mentioning BS2767 part 10 is a good start. That normally implies a separate spindle nut that can be tightened down. But don't touch the Myson Matchmates...they are complete garbage (threads jam).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local