Which resistors for a metal boxed Honeywell Gen 4?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at a Honeywell G4 metal control panel. It's the 8SP419A-UK, and I'm confused. I've gone through the entire engineer's manual and can't work out how to connect door /window contacts. There are eight security zones which feature two connectors each. There is also just one pair of connectors for tamper.

I thought that these days panels had shunt and end of line resistors. I can't find any mention of resistors in either the text or wiring diagrams. So my problem is how do you provide tamper detection to the zones on this panel? If you use the tamper pair of contacts to create a single huge tamper loop for all of the contacts for eight zones and the PA, the metal enclosure will be full of spliced cables and electrical tape. Seems like that would be a total mess and doesn't seem like the correct approach.

Am I totally confused and missing the obvious? Does this panel not use resistors?

Sponsored Links
No
It has a global tamper circuit
You have to series your tampers from each detector to make your tamper loop
Good look finding your faults if you have any with a global tamper?

No
It has a global tamper circuit

You must be wrong. It's a brand new box with surface mount components and a micro controller. Are you suggesting that I series wire nine zones (inc. PA) inside the enclosure without connecting to the PCB? You'd have to use eight floating connectors or solder to ensure reliability, wouldn't you? I can't believe that's what Honeywell intended. Honeywell is a huge company producing state of the art kit throughout all sectors of industry and healthcare.

But unfortunately, I really can't see anything in the literature for doing it any other way... (n)

Honeywell 4 gen series is a 4 wire wired control panel on EOL resistor
Honeywell not as good as some people think
Better control panels with better function for same price and can be expanded
Texecom and castle euro series all have EOL

Sponsored Links
You must be wrong. It's a brand new box with surface mount components and a micro controller. Are you suggesting that I series wire nine zones (inc. PA) inside the enclosure without connecting to the PCB? You'd have to use eight floating connectors or solder to ensure reliability, wouldn't you? I can't believe that's what Honeywell intended. Honeywell is a huge company producing state of the art kit throughout all sectors of industry and healthcare.

But unfortunately, I really can't see anything in the literature for doing it any other way... (n)

Buy cheap ....that's what you get ....Honeywell just buy companies move the production to China and rebrand ....

So I Googled some wiring pictures and found this:-

2012-07-22_160709_002.jpg

It's meant to be a Gen4. I'm no expert, but given what's been said in this thread, it's wired incorrectly isn't it? All the tamper loops for the five zones seem to be in parallel. Doesn't this mean that the only way to detect a tamper alarm would be if the burglar used a chain saw to cut though all of the zone wiring?

And no resistors in sight!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back