Which sized joist hangers for face fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My SE has specified face fix joist hangers for the new floor joists in my loft conversion. Looking online, I can only see 47x106mm, then it jumps to 47x167mm. The 106 would be too small for the joist I assume as it doesn't meet the 60% depth requirement, and the 167 wouldn't allow me to get all of the hanger nailed in.

The beam is 152x152, with doubled up timbers in the web bolted through, and joists are 47x200mm. Because of a mess up with the steel fabricator and there being a large splice plate/ bolt on top, the levels need to be as follows:

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 12.24.03.png

Any ideas on the best hanger/ size to use in this situation would be great.

Sponsored Links
I'd want to see longer leg
My SE has specified face fix joist hangers for the new floor joists in my loft conversion. Looking online, I can only see 47x106mm, then it jumps to 47x167mm. The 106 would be too small for the joist I assume as it doesn't meet the 60% depth requirement, and the 167 wouldn't allow me to get all of the hanger nailed in.

The beam is 152x152, with doubled up timbers in the web bolted through, and joists are 47x200mm. Because of a mess up with the steel fabricator and there being a large splice plate/ bolt on top, the levels need to be as follows:

View attachment 343335

Any ideas on the best hanger/ size to use in this situation would be great.
I'd want to see longer leg jiffies wrapped over onto the other side. I don't like the way the second timber is floating. I'd have found a way of packing the Web out so that the joists are more or less butting the flanges and the bottom flange is collecting all of the packing timber.

Last edited:
Don't forget to set your joists a wee bit lower in relation to the steel (bottom).

I'd want to see longer leg

I'd want to see longer leg jiffies wrapped over onto the other side. I don't like the way the second timber is floating. I'd have found a way of packing the Web out so that the joists are more or less butting the Web so that the flange is collecting all of the packing timber.
I've only packed one of the steels - the web was an awkward size, but I can pack the other one with something slimmer (although SE signed off the above anyway). Do you mean getting really long jiffy hangers and wrapping all the way over, nailing to the other side of the timber in the web too?

For the other steel, if I can make it flush, what would be the recommended hangers?

Re joist below steel, do you mean the bottom of the joist needs to be below the bottom of the steel (so about 2cm lower than I have in the diagram)?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Put some 18mm ply (or some such) behind the 5" x 2". (y)
Thanks, i'll do that on the other steel. Would it be a good idea to remove the one i've done already and replace?
1715869418266.png

For flush timbers, would you still recommend really long jiffy hangers wrapped over? I was looking at Simpson face fix initially as this is what the SE suggested (but when i've looked at the detail I can't see how to make work, hence the thread).

Flat timer fixed on top of the UB (hilti-nailed?) and then long leg hangers up and over.

Thanks, i'll do that on the other steel. Would it be a good idea to remove the one i've done already
Not of you follow Woodys advice. You could actually use the excess timber beyond the flanges to fix the top plate into.

Flat timer fixed on top of the UB

The only downside is if the top timber (thickness) and the subsequent jiffy legs, somehow interferes with or clashes with any floor deck.

Flat timer fixed on top of the UB (hilti-nailed?) and then long leg hangers up and over.
I was considering this, but would require getting/ hiring a hilti nailer (and using it!). If I have the joists like in the OP I will have 50mm between the steel and top of joists, but if the joists are flush with the bottom of the steel then it's only 43mm. I would talk to my SE but she's away at the moment and I need to get moving on these.

I was looking at these which may work, but not sure if suitable: https://www.toolstation.com/multi-t...rXJkhkHByKJtdmmr1EwaAmhqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was considering this, but would require getting/ hiring a hilti nailer (and using it!). If I have the joists like in the OP I will have 50mm between the steel and top of joists, but if the joists are flush with the bottom of the steel then it's only 43mm. I would talk to my SE but she's away at the moment and I need to get moving on these.

I was looking at these which may work, but not sure if suitable: https://www.toolstation.com/multi-t...rXJkhkHByKJtdmmr1EwaAmhqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Managed to get a reply from my SE and she said the above is fine so it might be the easiest option, unless anyone can think of any glaring issues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back