Who is at fault in this dashcam video?

Evolution of the language, dear chap. It will be correct soon enough, given how common its use is becoming;)

As will starting every sentence (particularly on R5L, when being interviewed) with "So,.." :LOL::mad:
In part of my house its 'LIKE' ahh!

Anyway i use could of so i can't really speak well i can talk propah when it's needed. :p My pet hate on Sm is your/you're used incorrectly but i refrain from trying to correct the world it's not needed.

Sponsored Links
No, it isn't. I did it very politely.

Writing 'could of' is extremely stupid.

I think that's a bit extreme personally, really EFL is that required, pick your battles etc, somethings create more negative than positive n all that.

Not that it has anything to do with the thread title, I'll wade in with my two pence worth! The standard of written English seems to be on a gradual downwards trajectory. While we're helped by auto correct and Google these days, people seem to have less of an understanding or interest in sentence structure, grammar and writing rules. While I'll speak day-to-day with my North East Midland dialect (which can be far from 'proper') I think standard written English needs to taught to a better standard than it is currently in many schools.

It does of course depend on the setting. If I'm on site with work I don't expect to hear prose and poetry. If I'm reading the local paper or a leaflet from the doctor's surgery I'd expect a little better.

I think that's a bit extreme personally, really EFL is that required, pick your battles etc, somethings create more negative than positive n all that.

Agreed

It's incredibly rude to correct someone's English on a public forum when you don't know the person.

It's incredibly stupid to do so and only makes the person doing the correcting look like the bad guy when maybe he's not

My main gripe with English is when people substitute letters for another (e.g. woz for was) as I simply cannot see why you would do it!

Sponsored Links
This is the classic insurance dream accident.
They are informed of the accident, settle at 50/50, both drivers get nothing as french wing mirrors are cheaper than excess, insurance charges double for following 5 years.
I fell fool of that once when a scooter hit me and went.
In fear of the rider making a false claim i reported this as notification only.
Despite being told it wouldn't have affected my premium, i paid over the odds for 5 years.
Following this experience I got a dashcam and some time later caught a woman scratching my car while parking and then leave.
I swallowed the damage as it would've cost me a lot more if i had claimed.
Not before plastering the internet with her face and number plate.

Regarding the poor modern English, i accompanied a friend to court and a prosecutor kept on saying "you was".
I felt uncomfortable.

Picture of the scratching woman attached.
Bedfont/Ashford area west London.
Silver Ford Focus WV61EHY.
Reward if you know her and pass details.

Attachments

• Mirror scratcher.jpg
    Mirror scratcher.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 73
My main gripe with English is when people substitute letters for another (e.g. woz for was) as I simply cannot see why you would do it!
That's not a gripe with English; it is a gripe with people.

Anyway, you don't like that but substitute a whole word with one totally unrelated to the meaning.

I simply cannot see why you would do it - unless...

Be careful when offering dashcam footage as the oncoming car driver can ask for a copy of the full dash cam file, rather than just the few seconds leading up to the collision. Their defense lawyer would check for any poor driving by the dashcam car leading up to the collision. Or any audio chat which may be argued as driver not paying attention.

Evolution of the language, dear chap. It will be correct soon enough, given how common its use is becoming;)
Unfortunately I believe you are correct.
The compilers of the OED, especially, seem to be easily persuaded that 'evolution' is something other than mistakes by the ignorant.
The alternative is that it is done intentionally for some obscure reason.

As will starting every sentence (particularly on R5L, when being interviewed) with "So,.." :LOL::mad:
Yes.

Anyway, I'm of to of a cup of tea.

It does of course depend on the setting. If I'm on site with work I don't expect to hear prose and poetry. If I'm reading the local paper or a leaflet from the doctor's surgery I'd expect a little better.
That is very true, it depends where it's being written. A forum I don't really mind about the correct use of grammar, it's a friendly chit-chat style. I do get a little annoyed (and at myself when I do it) when spelling is wrong. It's so easy to get it correct with auto-correct programs on computers and phones.

I've seen so many spelling mistakes and incorrect grammar in our national press - beggars belief that journalists can't get it right - the written word is their career!

Not read the rest but i’d say the black car was at fault because it looked like the other one had already moved out to overtake the parked cars.

That's not a gripe with English; it is a gripe with people.

Anyway, you don't like that but substitute a whole word with one totally unrelated to the meaning.

I simply cannot see why you would do it - unless...

Unless I'm doing it to deliberately p*** someone off

Hhhmmm I wonder who that could be.....

knock for knock both in wrong, both on crown of road and no one wants to give way

Sponsored Links
Back