Who is going to make the smart meters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Landis and Gyr, Honeywell. Siemens.

I cannot find any information as to which Company is going to make them, but who ever it is, would be a good bet! How many would be needed for UK. :eek:

Sponsored Links
never mind who is going to make them, who is going to be in charge of fitting them, i know a load of guys who are recently qualified who want a crack at fitting them, not sure how easy it will be for them though, expect it to be tough to meet the targets set, if they want to complete all the safety checks that they are supposed to

I'll let you know, mine goes in in 2 - 4 weeks. There was a write up about the manufacturers in the sunday times I think, was a big run on the share price a few months back when those in the know invested.

Sponsored Links
Each suppyling energy Companies I believe, not sure how it is going to work, but the amount of money being spent is going to be enormous.
I just wish I lived by a stream and could sell back the power generated to the grid, like the farmer up in Yorkshire.

I guess the smart move will be for individuals putting power back into the grid for profit, which these smart meters will able to measure.

Actaris, kromshroeder, or siemens most likely. Could also be dresser, gwi, landis & gyr. Hopefully actaris, best meter manufacturer in my book (used to be called schlumberger)

There are severel versions being tested with several manufacturers.
Afaik, the supplier will choose the type to be used for their custards. Best version I've seen and used is the L+G version - easy peasy to do.

are these compulsory??????

i might use more power if i see how cheap it is to leave certain lights on(energy saving bulbs)or turn the heating up if its just a few pence.

When are these likely to start appearing then?
And will it cost the consumer anything?

I get mine in 28 days Matty on my new tariff which is also 40% cheaper than the one I was previously on which last year was by far the cheapest of the major suppliers.

you have to be so so carefull when switching
you need to know your annual consuption to within 1 or 2 percent other wise you cant make an accurate comparason
the quotes you get often"forget " to mention discounts /bonuses cheap rates you get with your present supplier

i had a salesman comming to the door he said i could save £80 a year
i then gave him my actual gas an electric consumption at gas 5450kw and electric 4505kw
he said i could save £68and only pay £623 a year in asked how he came to his figures he said its from his hand held device
i asked for more detail it dosnt give anymore
i said thats funny i only pay £588 so wheres the saving!!!!
you will cost me £35 more not save me
he couldnt answer

any way the moral is expect savings off roughly 70% off the claimed amount if you havent switched and if you have already switched assume the savings may be 25 to 50percent off the quoted savings maximum

Smart meters - reasons for?
1. Save the planet, make some polar bears happy, save the voters some money?
or

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...09/Smart-meters-could-be-spy-in-the-home.html

The UKs electricity generation 'plan' is failing - combining the old nuclear stations coming off line due to age, no new ones being ready in time, and this stupid gubbermint agreeing with the EU to switch off our dirty coal-fired stations, we be f ked fairly soon.

Give it a few more years and we WILL have power cuts - this is well-known in the generating industry. Only way around it is we buy in power from overseas at silly money. How will they know when the best time is to switch the power off? A-ha!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back