Who is the First Person You Would Tell IF You Won Lotto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Keep in mind I am talking about a large sum of money (6 figures). This has nothing to do with what you would do with the entire win. Assuming you have donate a lot to charity and given a significant portion to family and friends, but so the sake of the topic, you still have plenty more where the initial amount came from.

Consider telling everyone on the internet about it? Consider telling everyone? There definitely would be some thought process behind letting friends know.

Would everyone in your family know about it?

Who here would not say anything at all?

Looks like there is hope of winning according to this website http://www.moreaboutwinninglottery.com/ which features many lotto systems.

Sponsored Links
Every ex girlfriend that dumped me.

:mrgreen:

I wouldn't tell anyone(except a pm to Norcon explaining the win is a gift from God).

As for the Lambo, RR sport, Fairline yacht, £2m house and the property in the S of F, I got a new contract and they're all on lease :p :evil:

A friend of Mine won an 8 figure (yes, over £10M) sum on the Lottery. He told anyone who wanted to know and it did cause a lot of problems. He took some of his friends on a big holiday, but some relatively distant friends were omitted resulting in questions of why they were missed of the close friends list. So how far do you go down the acquaintance line before you reach a Cut Off. SO this guy lost a lot of so called friends as a result. He also found that people treat him differently now that he was a Multi Millionaire and could not determine who were friends and who were not.
It was a very difficult situation and he concluded that he should have told his family, moved to somewhere he was not known and re-established a new life. Everyday He regrets losing his old pals enormously but his wealth is such that his old friends cannot compete with his spending power.
We all wish to have the Luck of winning the Lottery, but believe me it has a load of problems associated with it. Maybe most would say they would love the opportunity to deal with it but until you have had the experience, the psychological consequences of such sudden wealth are un imaginable.

Sponsored Links
i personally would thank god [who i dont believe in]
for letting me win a lottery i am not stupid enough to waste my money on :D :D

with around 50p off your pound going into the prize fund its worse value than premium bonds with the money back gtee ;)

I too worked with someone who had a lottery win albeit a smaller one. If I recall he and his brother won something like £80,000 between them. He confieded in me asking me not to say anything to our workmates although in the end he told them all anyway. However, a short while latter he became depressed that he had come close to winning "the big one" but hadn't won enough to give up work and such like. Some of his conversations bordered on suicidal and when he disappeared on a job with his van locked up it was assumed he'd done something silly. The police were called and the van broken into only to find nothing. Apparently he'd just walked off the job and went to wales to think things over, as you do.
So all in all , lottery bad .......at least for some.
To answer the original question, I may tell some I'd had a small win but wouldn't tell anyone the extent.

I reckon best to keep it quiet. Tell people you won £50,000 and have a bit of a party, that's enough to explain you having a nice holiday and a new car or two, but not so much they need to get insanely jealous.

After a while your horizons will change and you may well want to move to a bigger house and get a couple of Bentleys. If you move to an area where there are several big houses you will seem less abnormal.

Hysterisis wrote
We all wish to have the Luck of winning the Lottery

That's where you're wrong friendo.
Not all of us has money and materialism as our gods.

It's a good job a lot of people do the lottery..............look at all the christian aid projects that have benefitted from grants.

not to mention the Royal Opera House.

The best way to become a millionaire through the lottery, is to become a director of Camelto.

I'd tell the missus first. "Pack yer bags love, I've won the lottery." She'd reply "Ooh where are we going then?" To which I'd reply, "I'm going nowhere, just pack yer bags." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though, The missus would be the first to know, followed by family. I'd almost certainly move abroad to live (because global warming hasn't sufficiently warmed the UK up) Money doesn't buy you happiness, so the old saying goes,,, but it brings you the freedom to do lots of things you wouldn't otherwise do. ;) ;)

I would. A nice Aston Martin DB9. Wouldn't go for the huge house though. A nice house in a nice area and make sure my family were looked after.
I could then give money to genuine charity cases to balance my material wealth.

So, after my partner, my family would be the first and last to know.

The thing is, you are only truly wealthy if you and your immediate family are healthy.

It sounds a bit crackpot, but think about it.

If i would wish for anything, it would be good health for those that i love or care about.

We are not short, neither are we wealthy and i certainly do not chase the dollar. I run my business so that i am comfortable with the workload that i have. In the last 8 months i have turned down 4 decent jobs because we are too busy. I refuse to do more than one job at a time.

Ho hum. I will never be rich, but i always hope to be happy and healthy.

Keep your money.

I wouldn't tell anyone.

I'd just sit in a darkened room with the curtains drawn and count my shekels by the light of a candle.

Sponsored Links
Back