Wholesalers..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having swapped my fluke for a pc and terminal for a pen at a wholesaler, i am curious to know what opinions people generally have about there wholesalers.
i understand that on a branch level there will be differences but it would be good to know as a whole what are the good and bad points plus what could be improved to make your life better and easier.

Sponsored Links
I'll name names but these are personal opinions based on my own experience of various firms.

N&E - Too slow to get served, but a good paper catalogue with prices.
CEF - Good firm, use them regularly
Denmans - Good firm but don't stock or deal with MEM which is a problem
Eddies - Excellent service and range
Wilts - Pretty good but some prices are too high
Electric Centre - Never used so can't comment
Cribbs - Too expensive
Wholesale Fittings - "Our stock answer is Yes - we han't got it in stock"
Walsall/British Central - Good firm

The two things that would really improve wholesale is A) Self Service order picking and B) some logical clear pricing/ catalogue that makes quoting easier, RS & Neweys have printed catalogues.

I use CEF as the manager is a mate and alows those of us he knows to go out the back with a laser gun to pick and scan our own stuff - saves so much time

Tony,

Is walsall themselves still going?, I was under the impression they were no more, but there were still a handful of the trade counters remaining called wallsall but owned by other wholesalers

And I agree on the WF comment... how the hell does a wholesaler run out of 3mm green/yellow sleeving? :rolleyes:

As to the not stocking particular makes of switchgear, I tend to find that it seems to much of a location thing as anything... there are some makes that most local wholesalers carry, but go an hours drive away and none carry it, even though they are the same wholesaling chains :evil:

One thing that gets me, is very few seem to carry type B rcbos on the shelves... its alright for the rough-uns who will slap in a type C rcbo and enter max permitted zs as 1666 ohms :p ...well i can only imagine thats what happens!!

And I agree on the WF comment... how the hell does a wholesaler run out of 3mm green/yellow sleeving? :rolleyes:

In the present financial situation a lot of wholesalers and stockists are reducing stock in hand to the bare minimum to avoid having "cash" standing idle on shelves in their store rooms.

It is not only in the electrical trade either.

Sponsored Links
tonyelectric
you could also try dansach in bevois valley, helpful and informative staff
good stockholding, and not part of a global chain.
also we use senates in eastleigh, andy the manager will bend over backwards to get what you want when you want it, and good stocks as well
as you say cribbs, to expensive!

oasis

just to add as well, yes i post more on the alarm side then the electrical, as there are enough peeps here to answer questions.

but i am a fully qualified commercial/industrial sparks as well as a fully qualified intruder / fire alarm installer.

the only thing i don't have is part P (yet) but its coming in the new year!
even tho i don't agree with it fully as you can see from the posts here, alot of people seem to ignore part P and just carry on regardless!

oasis

I think that B&Q are cheaper for some electrical fittings, as a Crabtree safety lampholder cost GBP 2.40. at B&Q, whilst at the local wholesaler (forgot whom) it cost GBP 3.50. including v.a.t.

A Wylex 5way consumer unit cost approx GBP 45.00 at Neweys, whilst it cost GBP 23.00 at B&Q's including v.a.t.

For Cable, the wholesalers are cheaper = 50metres of 2.5. twin and earth comes to GBP 18.00 approx, whilst B&Q charges GBP 36.00. for the same.

My suggestion is go to the Wholesalers for cable, and B&Q for fittings (Where possible). :) :) :)

If you are a one-man-band accurate pricing info after hours is essential. A lot of us do our estimating after hours.

With Senates I always have to phone for a price, whereas with TLC or QVC I can see the price 24/7

Another thing that drives me mad with Senate, I will phone for a price and then I can see it cheaper at QVC or TLC. E.G. they tried to charge £44 for a new style wylex RCBO when it is £21.50 at TLC. Also happens with MK items. When I complain they then lower the price!

You would think that the managers would be aware of the online price, why should I be doing their job for them - telling them they are too expensive and where I can get it cheaper.

Without naming any specific companies, the things which really are a complete waste of time are:

1. Those wholesalers which insist on having ridiculous prices, and then applying some entirely spurious 'discount'. Such as a roll of cable priced £900, but you can have 95% off, which just makes it the same price as anywhere else.
These are always the ones who can't actually provide prices for anything, don't have price lists, and generally get invoices wrong on a regular basis. This is usually because some discount was 'forgotten' or the wrong code was used, or some other feeble excuse.
Companies operating like this deserve to go out of business. The days of 'list prices' and silly discounts ended decades ago.

2. Those which have printed catalogues / price lists, and have 'special deals' on the front pages, usually involving buying 100+ of some item such as ceiling roses. Unfortunately, these special deals usually end up being significantly more expensive than buying the exact same item in B&Q, and in B&Q you can buy one, not a whole box of 100 which could last for months/years.

3. Those who don't have the most basic and often used items in stock. Not just once, but on a regular basis
Seems certain wholesalers only order in a single roll of 2.5mmT+E, and when sold, it's 2 days before they get another one.

I tend to find that Wholsalers generally have more Volatile Prices (except cable), whilst B&Q, and the other DIY Sheds have more stable and predictable prices, It looks like the Recession has affected the Wholesalers more than the DIY sheds, based on evidence of pricing policies over the past few years. :D :D :D

Yep i'm really interested in the discount idea, CEF use that system, mostly i get 80-90% off the "trade price", two examples was a 100mtr of twin 0.5 appliance flex £1500 and 10 2L1.5 pyro pots £85, the cabe ended up about £16 and the pots £7.50, so whats the scam, i'm no accountant but i guess there is something in it for them?

Stops the riff raff coming in ;)
Unless you have an account there is no point shopping there...

In my experience you need a credit account and a decent amount of monthly spend, I'm running at around £5K a month split between:

Newey & Eyre - Consistently good prices on most items, on first time of asking. Very handy for getting stuff short notice, letthemknow before 5:30pm and it will be at the branch when they open at 07:30am!

Edmundsons - Very good on some prices, not so hot on others, excellent service however.

CEF - Too expensive, ropey own brand gear, too many mistakes on invoices. Get me out the **** on a saturday morning.

Electric Centre - Used to be great until they closed all the branches!

DES (part of BSS Group) - Very new to the wholesale trade, some amazing prices but not all products are the best quality.

Screwfix - I'll stick to a propper wholesalers thank you! Good for folks without an account and a monthly spend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back