Why are so many pubs closing?

I never take my phone into a pub, I hate it whan your having a quiet pint and someone usually a daft bird twittering away, I support a no phone ban!

I appreciate that the noise of notifications can be annoying but what is the difference between someone silently reading the news on their phone and someone reading a newspaper?

I am currently sitting in a pub. I can hear people talking, the jukebox and the fruit machine. I am just about to have my second pint, I have not heard a single phone.

With regards to people talking on the phone, how is that any different to people in the pub talking to each other- the only difference is one cannot hear what the other person is saying.

Something tells me that the pubs with a no phone policy are happy to allow patrons to pay for their drinks with their phones...

Sponsored Links
I like ale, mainly Doom Bar. Sometimes Bass, Butty Bach or London Pride. Draught is spot on in my local - miles better than out of a bottle. Sitting in front of the fire in local, drinking quality ale and either nattering with other locals or perusing the Daily Mail: priceless.

Isn't the Daily Mail a wonderful read?

I personally like a burst from the Mail, down a pint or two then go and spread the love to any other right wing extremists that may be walking past or sitting near.

I appreciate that the noise of notifications can be annoying but what is the difference between someone silently reading the news on their phone and someone reading a newspaper?

I am currently sitting in a pub. I can hear people talking, the jukebox and the fruit machine. I am just about to have my second pint, I have not heard a single phone.

With regards to people talking on the phone, how is that any different to people in the pub talking to each other- the only difference is one cannot hear what the other person is saying.

Something tells me that the pubs with a no phone policy are happy to allow patrons to pay for their drinks with their phones...

I can't be without my phone. But if I'm with the family, after a while I say phones down and let's have a family chat.
So we look like a normal functioning happy family to the locals.

I personally like a burst from the Mail, down a pint or two then go and spread the love to any other right wing extremists that may be walking past or sitting near.

My hobby is trolling Trump sympathisers on the Daily Mail app. And no, I am not joking.

Sponsored Links
I can't be without my phone. But if I'm with the family, after a while I say phones down and let's have a family chat.
So we look like a normal functioning happy family to the locals.

I go to the pub so that I can face going home....

I am the guy with a laptop in front of me- it is great, if I don't wanna talk to people, I just tell them that I am doing work on my laptop.

Last edited:
Do you need any personal information?
?

Edit----- I log in using an email address. That is the only personal info that I need to provide.

My average bus journey is about 45 mins (6 mile journey in London). I spend a lot of time on the DM app...

Last edited:
?

Edit----- I log in using an email address. That is the only personal info that I need to provide.

My average bus journey is about 45 mins (6 mile journey in London). I spend a lot of time on the DM app...
What's the DM app?

Ok to while away a couple of hours with a pint or two. No good for news, but get some interesting articles in there.

I avoid Samuel Smiths pubs.

The last one I went into was early 2020 (Warwick Avenue). I was running early to see a customer, Saturday about 1pm and thought I would have a quick pint and check my emails. Went up to the bar and purchased a pint. There were only 3 other punters in the pub. I sat down opened my laptop to check my emails. A very apologetic barman came over and said that I was not allowed to use my laptop in the pub, I asked if I could use it in the garden, he said no.

He also told me that the chain's policy prohibited the use of phones and tablets by customers. It made no difference if the activities on the devices were totally silent or not.

I asked why they don't have any signs outside to warn potential punters The barman pointed to a sign on the inside of the doorway. I remarked that the sign was only visible when leaving the pub- he agreed.
not only that but no telle`s /juke boxes and no bad language either .
Beside that the drink they sell tastes shyte

not only that but no telle`s /juke boxes and no bad language either .
Beside that the drink they sell tastes shyte
I miss juke boxes. Me and my oldest lad found a pub with a juke box last year, he’d never seen one before.

It was a proper old school blokes pub.

I miss juke boxes. Me and my oldest lad found a pub with a juke box last year, he’d never seen one before.

It was a proper old school blokes pub.
Never seen a juke box?
Kids o' today, eh...play it, Sam.

:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back