Why are we punishing school children?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've hit the nail on the head. Teachers are ground down by the erosion if discipline in school. The lefty, child-centred education system is a disaster. The left have dismantled discipline in both schools and society. We now see the results in comps and out in the real world, eg. London tribal violence.

Teacher friend of mine left to run a pub. So disillusioned with the aggro and lack of power to do anything about it. Now working longer hours, but much happier.

Lefty? So we have had more right wing government than left so blaming the left is about as accurate as Trump telling the truth.

Sponsored Links
Lefty? So we have had more right wing government than left so blaming the left is about as accurate as Trump telling the truth

Well whoever introduced 'child centred' teaching is to blame. You must not correct spelling in case it leads to low self esteem! Welcome to the world of self entitled snowflakes.

You've hit the nail on the head. Teachers are ground down by the erosion if discipline in school. The lefty, child-centred education system is a disaster. The left have dismantled discipline in both schools and society. We now see the results in comps and out in the real world, eg. London tribal violence.

Teacher friend of mine left to run a pub. So disillusioned with the aggro and lack of power to do anything about it. Now working longer hours, but much happier.

They also know the generous welfare state here in the UK will look after them all their lives.
Dumb lwr.

The trouble today with teaching is that the authority has been taken away from the teacher. .
Not the only trouble. Too many soft, dopey, pc women involved in education. Women are ok at primary, but secondary needs men with authority. Something you have proved works and comes as a shock to these pupils. You are probably the only person these kids have ever listened to in education, and the only one they will ever learn from. Can't teach without control.

Sponsored Links
Lefty? So we have had more right wing government than left so blaming the left is about as accurate as Trump telling the truth.

Teaching unions and the education establishment are inherently left leaning, or do you disagree? And you presume that Cameron and the latest Tory line up are right wing?

Correct the students spelling? I have to correct the spelling of the tutors that come with the students! All this cobblers about affecting their self esteem. You’d never believe what the first practical lesson I had to give to two 15 year old students that started recently. I had to teach them to tie their bootlaces! I’m not joking. What makes me laugh is that many kids, sorry, brats, are diagnosed with ODD and they are told they have it! They then use it as an excuse themselves when they you pull them up about their behaviour. ODD for those that don’t know is Oppositional Defiance Disorder. It’s self explanatory. Teenage kids don’t like being told what to do? Nothing new there! I have literally had kids say to me “I can’t help it, I’ve got ODD”. Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous? I get away being ultra strict at my place on grounds of H&S - a vehicle workshop is a very dangerous place with an idiot running around so I tell them to leave their ODD and any other crap outside as it ain’t going to wash in my workshop. Any 'dissent' and I refer them to the sign that is the mantra of my workshop and I make them read it out aloud:

All kids who come to my workshop are treated how they would be treated as a junior employee/trainee in a commercial garage (we do run as a proper garage, carrying out repairs on real customers cars) and that goes right down to cleaning and maintaining the tools, sweeping up and making tea. No mobiles are allowed during the lesson (I let them have them at break times) and if I catch a kid texting or looking at his phone I take it off him and it goes.......down my trousers until the next break! I might come across as a miserable git but I can assure you, the ones that stay really do benefit as well as learn some valuable lessons and look forward to coming.

What about getting him some extra tuition outside school or even sit with him yourself each evening until things improve? I have very small group sizes but even then I find that if I have one student that needs a little extra help, it’s difficult to do without affecting the other students. In extreme cases, the referring agency books separate one to one sessions with me for some students but they do have the funds. I can’t begin to imagine how it would be done in a class of 30.

Last edited:
Eeyore quotes one example that he has read and assumes it applies to all teachers and he appears to agree that the PGCE should be scrapped:
My other teacher relation, a geographer, also ran into problems early when her PGCE group was told never to correct grammar or spelling because this would lower pupils’ (sorry, students’) self-esteem.

PGCE is an excellent vehicle for graduates of all ages to move into teaching.
I know of several (ex-engineer, ex-military, ex-musicians, etc) that did not start out in their career as teachers, but as their career progressed they realised their true desire lay in teaching and the PGCE facilitated that career progression.
I am also aware that their "industry experience" is highly valued by their "educational" employers.

Maybe the syllabus leaves much to be desired, but to lose that "career cross-over" entirely would be a crass mistake.

quotes one example that he has read and assumes it applies to all teachers and he appears to agree that the PGCE should be scrapped:

Utter rubbish.

I did not make any suggestion that PGCE should be scrapped.

There has been an issue with child centred learning.

... and he appears to agree that the PGCE should be scrapped:
Maybe the syllabus leaves much to be desired, but to lose that "career cross-over" entirely would be a crass mistake.

Utter rubbish.
I did not make any suggestion that PGCE should be scrapped.
You disagree with the main headline of the article, and subsequent comments, in the article that you quoted from?
The PGCE is a teaching turn-off
Her problems began with the PGCE.
My other teacher relation,.. also ran into problems early when her PGCE group...
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/comment/opinion/the-pgce-is-a-teaching-turn-off/2008913.article

Perhaps you should read your source material more carefully.
Alternatively, you could continue to exploit specific phrases from quotes instead of considering the whole message contained within the source.

There is also a counter argument provided within the article that supports my points:
The PGCE did not provide me with all the answers, but it gave me the intellectual tools and the confidence to try and work them out for myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back