Why are you giving away free trade knowledge

no iam sure i speak for most on here wereally do like helping folk an not rip them off! unlike our friends in flying vans! the reason i left BG was because of the bullying culture horrible company...

petit pablo is a gent always on here helping out, so nice one petit ;)

agree 100% likewise i'm ex BG
by helping people on here i have actually gained work from posters as i give genuine advice

as for BG engineers had 1 this week scaring a customer by telling them their boiler would explode because it had a 13amp fuse in the FCU :confused: :confused:

pigs might fly but BG do it better!!

Sponsored Links
I agree with you to a point, but a lot of the time you can come on here an learn yourself! I do not in any way agree with anyone fitting or repairing anything gas related but to change a diverter or something why not?

most of the time they will make a dogs dinner off it an you may just get the job to go an sort it for them, am sure there are lads on here who have gained for there efforts.. ;)

This is a DIY site so you are here to learn or give advice.

If you feel that you should not be giving advice then sit back and learn.

Do Gassafe register know that you are working illegaly on gas?

Kevingas.
wont explode with a 13amp fuse but seen boards go on fire first before blowing the 13amp fuse which could in affect cause a gas leak that could explode.

Just being pedantic ;)

Sponsored Links
Kevingas.
wont explode with a 13amp fuse but seen boards go on fire first before blowing the 13amp fuse which could in affect cause a gas leak that could explode.

Just being pedantic ;)

OK mr pedantic how many have you seen explode? i've been in the business for near 30 years never seen one yet!

Kevingas.

Just being pedantic ;)

Seen it with a 3 amp fuse big deal!

If people ask questions on this forum they are entitled to an intelligent answer. In many cases apparently simple questions reveal complications they had not considered or appreciated. I reckon that this forum helps many people decide NOT to try DIY in a lot of cases.

I did not train to be a plumber/RGI until I was 46. I worked for 20 years in an unrelated career. That never stopped me from installing my own bathrooms, washing machines and all the rest during that 20 years. I did have the sense not to try and install my own gas boiler, and I think most questioners on here know their limits.

The information is all out there anyway. If we assist people in a good natured professional way it will benefit someone somewhere in our industry. Much of the cat calling that goes on sends out a dreadful message to our potential customer base.

I once worked in a job requiring a level of PR exposure for a major company very conscious of its public image. Their advice was "Never say anything down the phone that you are not prepared to repeat in front of a TV camera" I think a parallel lesson is appropriate here if we are not to appear like a bunch of idiots nobody in their right mind would employ.

Alfredo

Kevingas.
Been in business longer and not seen it either which is why i used the word COULD
with the amount of plastic in boilers now and rubber seals used on gas then it would not be far fetched to suggest it. Due to electrical fire on boiler

Do Gassafe register know that you are working illegaly on gas
Both my Dad and brother are Gas Safe registered with their own firms, so when I work it is under them, so nothing illegal.

I will just add both are very busy with work. I used to post answers on here and it was actually them that questioned why and when I thought about it they were right.

I agree I have had a number of jobs to get people out of trouble as they have "had a go". Then again with so many boiler becoming self diagnosing I suppose its doing the same thing anyway.

Well let me think about that.

First, BGEngineer, you're not an Engineer. BG may have told you that you are, but you are not. It would be nice if you went away and did a bit of research about what Engineers and Technicians do. It would prevent people thinking that you're an idiot by making a statement that makes it clear that you know bog-all about engineering. A Corgis/Gassafe ticket does not make you an Engineer.

I have some old printed gas training notes, a wad of paper maybe an inch thick; there are sections that I knew already, others that I could read, digest and learn, nothing beyond simple fundamentals. I recently had the college notes of a late relative, who was an Engineer. It was a stack of paper, hand-written, double-sided about two feet high. I doubt that there were two pages in it that I could follow without having to refer to textbooks on calculus, fluid mechanics, stress analysis, etc., to understand the reasoning. He had attended university after his apprenticeship; I think he transferred and didn't finish the apprenticeship.

Secondly, BG are incompetent. You may not be incompetent, I don't know you, but you do as directed by your Directors. I won't go into the details but BG made a monumental cock-up some years ago which endangered me and my family. It's all in writing, I have kept all of it. They defended their unsafe working practices. I didn't know much about gas then, but I've learned quite a lot since. I wouldn't be inclined to trust any Corgi/Gassafe technician, certainly not an ex-BG type. Some prove themselves to be competent; some confirm my worst suspicions at every opportunity.

Third, the trade knowledge which you want to be kept secret could be learned in, I'd estimate, 3 months by some one of reasonable intelligence. It's no big deal, so stop trying top make out it's some scarey, top-secret esoteric wisdom. It should be freely available to anyone that wants to make the effort to learn it.

Fourth, the reason unqualified people try to repair their own gas appliances is because they can't afford the BG/Gassafe prices and they do not trust domestic tradesmen as a result of consistently being ripped off.

Only 2 pages and already a couple of alter egos have appeared i wonder if they will also post under there usual names. ;)

LOL - thanks Onetap that made me laugh. So you think a Heating Engineer can be trained in 3 months - I bet they would be fantastic :rolleyes:

LOL - thanks Onetap that made me laugh. So you think a Heating Engineer can be trained in 3 months - I bet they would be fantastic :rolleyes:

No; a gas technician could.

Gas does not include heating systems.
What training do BG do on heating systems? Are you a Heating Engineer?
Which bit of the gas syllabus subject matter is 'difficult'?

Sponsored Links
Back