Why are you giving away free trade knowledge

Here we go again relentless BG Bashing. As for the workmanship, we are still what most homeowners use as their benchmark and record profits this year show we must be doing somthing right. Homeowners aren't thick and if they weren't happy they would go elsewhere.

As for my previous posts, as I said before I did offer advice, but then realised as it can be accessed so readily, I decided to stop posting. As many of you know it takes years to understand the variety of systems and boilers out there and I thought why should I post it in the public domain.

Sponsored Links
.... we are still what most homeowners use as their benchmark

People also still call something: " the Rolls Royce" of whatever, as a indication of quality.
As we all know, a RR is overpriced, oversized, overrated, with an engine design from somewhere in the previous century, far from reliable, and extremely poor value for money.

and record profits this year show we must be doing somthing right.

No argument there, even a lot of BG staff have no good word for the sharklike sales people.

Did I somehow miss the bit where you explained to us how you can be working for BG, and at the same time work illegally out of hours, or did you skip that on purpose?

Why are people bashing this chap for his relationship with British Gas? Whilst I don't agree with his viewpoint, an engineer can be good or bad regardless of who they work for.

I'm sure there are engineers working for BG that are better than those with their own private companies, and visa-versa - same with any industry.

As for his view that professionals shouldn't air their opinions on a forum, he's very misguided and perhaps shouldn't have registered here if he doesn't understand the concept of a discussion forum!! :p

Sponsored Links
I think BGEngineer is being a bit hypocrytical. He doesn't like people on here giving out advice on heating or plumbing, but I'm sure he'd use this site if he wanted information on a subject which was outside of his field.

I think BGEngineer is being a bit hypocrytical. He doesn't like people on here giving out advice on heating or plumbing, but I'm sure he'd use this site if he wanted information on a subject which was outside of his field

To be honest you are right. I have just rewired my house with information on here so hands up I see where you are coming from. But that was very generic information, readily available, where as the stuff that gets posted on here regarding boilers is very specific. Then once posted anyone can drag it up for years later as one of you clearly showed pulling up my old post from over a year ago, before I saw the error of my ways. Just with more people becoming internet savvy I think it has a real potential to hurt the breakdown industry. Good engineers are good engineers because they have taken time to understand manuals, experienced faults and even got thing wrong some times. It just p****s me off someone can come along rip the information of the net and think they are a good engineer and know what they are talking about. As for working illegally, only in my employers eyes. I am gas safe registered thus competent to work on gas regardless whether its for BG customers or not. Its not a requirement to have PLI.

... I think it has a real potential to hurt the breakdown industry.
No it doesn't. Some people will just not fork out for someone to come out and do it properly in the first place.
They save £100 by getting the boiler going by themselves, but don't realise that other things are wrong that continue to wear the boiler out and create greater damage.
When the **** really hits the fan, they can't do it themselves and now they have to pay out many hundreds over the course of a couple of years in stead of just one hundred. Bless 'em.

"Any" firm is only as good as it's "worst" employee, which means that there will be good and bad at BG, thing is you don't know which one will turn up at your door,
Russian roulette, but they cant all be bad, law of averages.

record profits this year show we must be doing somthing right

And in the next breath Centrica (BG owners) warn of rising energy costs and tell us our gas bills are going to go up.

Quote from BBC website "British Gas's managing director, Phil Bentley, said that prices would have to rise, but over a longer time frame: "Probably unit prices per unit will go up. We're not saying over the next year, but in the long term, it absolutely will.""

Yep even now they are not content with ripping off customers who's boilers go wrong. With people now becoming energy efficient they realise that old Mrs Smith now has a super efficient condensing boiler and could save ££££'s on her next gas bill. (unless they raise the prices to keep their directors in champagne) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

And in the next breath Centrica (BG owners) warn of rising energy costs and tell us our gas bills are going to go up.

Yep even now they are not content with ripping off customers who's boilers go wrong. With people now becoming energy efficient they realise that old Mrs Smith now has a super efficient condensing boiler and could save ££££'s on her next gas bill. (unless they raise the prices to keep their directors in champagne) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Totally agree, but thought post was about giving hard earned learned knowledge away, maybe a new posting slating BG Centrica Eon or any other rip off supplier would be appropriate, the posting has been hijacked, bit like us hijacking work from BG as we are "always" cheaper.

I always try to give advice on this forum, if possibe, based on my training and experience as a plumber - ususally, someone else beats me to it anyway.

In return for any help I've given, I've managed to fix my car, ask about electrics, decorating and generally chat. its a great site where everyone helps eachother if they can.

A friend of mine actually works for Network Rail on the Signalling and Telecommunication side. Under his contract of employment, he isn't allowed to do anything that may compete with Network Rail.
He's a fully qualified electrician, and has been warned ( a friendly conversation :?: :?: :?: ) at work about his activities when not at work.
Their reasoning is that,,, should one of his own business jobs run over, he might be tempted to phone in sick. (he hasn't had a day's sickness in over 24 yrs ) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

The answer is simple: switch. Cancel your gas contract. Cancel your leccy contract. Cancel your "service" contract.

Much as I despise the company, no one is forced to sign up with them, so they should not complain about being ripped off.

bgengineer so do you have ur gas safe or does your relatives have them too for you to use other wise it illegal for you to charge and if you do i thought bg policy to tell you to get rid of it
i am not bg basher infact i recommend them on grounds they cheaper than the part in which case they can rip bg off :evil:
which i like doing i post on this forum becuase i like too

Onetap yet again you show your limited knowledge of what a real apprenticeship in gas consists of

Gas is not only about running a pipe and repairing a boiler as most on here do

I don't think that I am, but am ready to change my opinion if anyone can convince me that I'm mistaken.

I'm not talking of the plumbing skills that are are acquired over a career. Similarly the peculiarities of individual boilers are learned on-the-job and by walking into the various pit-falls the manufacturers seem to build into some makes.

I am talking of the knowledge required that is required to attain the CCN1 and CEN1 and whatever else is required (CPA1?). Which parts of that are difficult to learn?

I asked BGEngineer the same question but he didn't answer. The question seems to be difficult, or he'd rather not answer.

The gas training notes mentioned earlier are nearer 10mm thick, with lots of pictures.

Sponsored Links
Back