Why are you giving away free trade knowledge

...I am talking of the knowledge required that is required to attain the CCN1 and CEN1 and whatever else is required (CPA1?). Which parts of that are difficult to learn? ...

It's a piece of you know what. It has nothing to do with working on gas though. It is purely the basics of "working safely", and very little more.
A good comparison would be the theory part of your driving license; it's a legal requirement, but has little to do with how much you know about driving.

Sponsored Links
bengasman";p="1698072 said:
.... we are still what most homeowners use as their benchmark

People also still call something: " the Rolls Royce" of whatever, as a indication of quality.
As we all know, a RR is overpriced, oversized, overrated, with an engine design from somewhere in the previous century, far from reliable, and extremely poor value for money.

For well over 10 years now Rolls Royce cars have been powered by excellent BMW engines

whether working legally or illegally on gas when you work for your father or brother, are they/you paying tax/insurance on your wage, or is it a cash in the hand job in which case you are still working illegally

I think we need to clarify what is working illegally. Is it illegal in the eyes of GS - no, I'm GS registered and therefore competent and safe to work on gas. Is it illegal in the eyes of BG - Yes, as mentioned they say any work which is in direct competition with them is deemed as gross misconduct and sackable. Is it illegal in the eyes of the tax man - Probably, but the way I see it is I get screwed through PAYE tax, which I know is much more then self employed have to pay so why shouldn't I have a little on the side. And yes I forgot how honest all you self employed people are, I'm sure all your cash jobs go through the books ;)

Sponsored Links
I think we need to clarify what is working illegally. Is it illegal in the eyes of GS - no, I'm GS registered and therefore competent and safe to work on gas. Is it illegal in the eyes of BG - Yes, as mentioned they say any work which is in direct competition with them is deemed as gross misconduct and sackable. Is it illegal in the eyes of the tax man - Probably, but the way I see it is I get screwed through PAYE tax, which I know is much more then self employed have to pay so why shouldn't I have a little on the side. And yes I forgot how honest all you self employed people are, I'm sure all your cash jobs go through the books ;)

why did you start this topic ? you have 65 posts and 2 thank yous, so you must have offered help/advice to someone. It does not make sense to me, you have helped yet you moan about how long it takes you to gain this knowledge, therefore simply dont reply to anyones post for help, it does`nt seem to bother anyone else on this forum, only you and i cant see why, i completed a 5 yr apprenticeship in tiling, starting in 78 and ending in 83, since then i have taken courses in domestic plumbing although i do not profuse to be a plumber, but i have adequate knowledge to get me by when installing and tiling a bathroom or wet-room, but i will happily pass on any of my knowledge to people who ask.

why did you start this topic ? you have 65 posts and 2 thank yous, so you must have offered help/advice to someone

If you read the earlier posts you would see these posts were from over a year ago, before I saw the error of my ways.

As for tiling and boiler breakdowns, I don't think you can compare the two. It just make me uneasy that stuff I have taken time to learn and is my living is all getting logged on here. I suppose you could compare it to what must all those other magicians thought when that b****d masked magician started revealing how it was all done!

why did you start this topic ? you have 65 posts and 2 thank yous, so you must have offered help/advice to someone

If you read the earlier posts you would see these posts were from over a year ago, before I saw the error of my ways.

As for tiling and boiler breakdowns, I don't think you can compare the two. It just make me uneasy that stuff I have taken time to learn and is my living is all getting logged on here. I suppose you could compare it to what must all those other magicians thought when that b****d masked magician started revealing how it was all done!

i do understand your point mate, its just that this forum offers free advice and no one is forced to give it.

anyways mate have a good day ;)

You pay more tax on PAYE because you dont need to be unemployed for 6 months before you can claim benefits, tax evaision is a big deal and you will get hammered, your unhelpful attitude will soon have someone reporting you i would imagine. Spread the love, if you can help people and choose to do so, someone will help you when you need a hand.

I can never understand the sheer stupidity of people who come on a public forum and basically boast about tax evasion.
Do they not think the taxman has investigation departments that are on the lookout for this

Just a little point to go back to the OP. When I signed my apprenticeship indentures back in 1957 one of the conditions was that "I must keep the secrets of my trade"

When I signed my apprenticeship indentures back in 1957 one of the conditions was that "I must keep the secrets of my trade"
Thank god those dark days are over. It took centuries to get rid of the power of the church to keep us dumb, we don't need unions and the likes to continue that tradition.

Can I add my perspective on this?

This site and the experts on here, be they tradesmen or avid DIYers have absolutely saved me, my other half and my 6-month-old baby girl from living in a house that's been slowly falling apart around our ears.

We moved into a property 18 months ago, after getting a proper survey done, and anticipating a little DIY, but instead 18 months and the best part of 10 grand later, we've found enough problems with the place that we've had to replace the central heating plumbing, complete large amounts of rewiring, remove and replace ceilngs, demolish walls, fit a new kitchen, skirting boards, etc.

With a new baby and my other half leaving work, there's no way in hell we could've paid someone to do all this work. But thanks to everyone on here who's been kind enough to share their expertise, and a load of sweat on my side, I've been able to slowly get all these jobs done where otherwise, we'd be stuck with dodgy heating, dodgy electrics and our ceilings caving in!

Russ

I was just wondering why so many of you "tradesmen" are so eager to give away advice/tips/answers that have taken many of us a long time to learn only to post them here in the public domain. Now all a person has to do is type in there boiler and fault and the info is there. In the current climate many people will try and fix their boiler themselves and with this site it is making it all too easy for them, just really starting to annoy me.

Err... perhaps if this site had existed years ago it wouldn't have taken you so long to learn???

I help becasue I can.

I try to be nice to people becasue I prefer to be nice...

Nuff said

Hmm times have changed I used to work way back in the 70's on the natural gas conversion for W Press after 3 weeks training we were gas engineers. :LOL:
The first fit was to put in the G/F and drop test the internal pipes,any leaks give it back to BG and they would fix it Free.
Then later when ready convert the appliances with kits supplied by the manufacturer, I remember one old girl who had an old copper boiler for her washing 1903 dated no kit obviously, but she didn't want a brand spanking new one free, it was a case of take the bray out drop the solder in and remorse until I got the flame right.
And gas fridges with the pilot to run them when I tell people they think I'm mental.

I would just like to add, long may we continue to help other people because 1 day we may need help or advice from someone

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Back