Why is my electric bill so HIGH ? (!!!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I have been privately renting a 2 bed maisonette now since last October.

Me & flat mate have crappy storage heaters that we kept on during winter. The heat generated from them was minimal and after a couple of months when the cold kicked in got an oil filled radiator for the living room only. Storage heaters have been turned off now for at least 2 if not 3 months.

I have received 3 quartely bills since i moved in.

1: £280 (ish)
2: £340 (ish)
3: £250 (ish)

Both of us work so are out mon-fri during day time. On this basis we are going to be doing well over a grand a year on electric.

The property has no gas.

I think this is excessive, anyone else think so too?

I have tried looking at the boiler as the water that comes out of there is always scalding hot and was looking at turning the thermostat down although cannot find one. How is this regulated (the kit looks quite old and dated)?

Any advice to help me reduce this bill...

Cheers

M-O-R

(PS: I have looked at changing supplier (i am with powergen or Npower - cant remember which now - although uswitch said there isnt a cheaper supplier in my area - although im not overly convinced thats true)

Sponsored Links
Are you on an economy 7 tarrif? if so do you use alot of electrical equipment during the day - tv's, computers, washing machine?

Have you got your meter or is it the landlords (they used to be able to charge a different rate, years ago).

Static: Not sure about Eco 7? I remember vaguely that i might have seen it on the bill but not overly sure.

Whats it all about anyway?

No... only time electrics are used are week eveningss & during the day at at weekends and its not a great deal then as me & flat mate generally dont sit in all weekend. For instance this weekend no one was in all!

Cheers...

Diyisfun: The meter is in the property. Does that help?

Cheers...

M-O-R

Sponsored Links
try this

get a chair, put it infront of the meter, sit and watch it.

switch everything off, and switch everything on and off one at a time, see which makes the wheel (if fitted) move fastest.

or make a note when you like of the reading then check it in exactly 1 hour

the idea being you will find out what is using so much

Econ7 charges cheap rate during the night (good for night storage heaters) and more expensive rate during the day. If you use alot of electrical items during the day/evening like emersion heater, washing machine, tv, etc etc it can end up costing you more than normal.

If the meter has 2 dials on it or a display that flashes up 2 numbers then your on economy 7.

Just a thaught, maybe your storage heaters are charging up during the day, or maybe just one is....Ive seen that before on rented Accom....

Static said:
If the meter has 2 dials on it or a display that flashes up 2 numbers then your on economy 7.
or your house was on it in the past and still have the dual rate meter fitted

just had a thought, seeing as its a maisonette, wait till its dark, and swithc off the cu, see do you get a shout of OI its dark.

its vaguely possible you are supplying another maisonette

just had a thought, seeing as its a maisonette, wait till its dark, and swithc off the cu, see do you get a shout of OI its dark.

its vaguely possible you are supplying another maisonette

Not to worry you but this is a good idea. I had a friend in London who lived in a rented maisonette. His meter was paying for 3 flats!! (his included). The land-lord had had the wiring all set up wrong.

When my friend refused to pay for the other flats and the land-lord got all angry, he (and I as a witness) took him to court. We had so much evidence, electrician documents, photos etc. The magistrate threw the book at him and not only did my friend get all the money back he had paid for elec but he also got £500 for the stress, it wasn't long until he moved out! Phew.

M-O-R said:
Afternoon all,

I have been privately renting a 2 bed maisonette now since last October.

Me & flat mate have rubbishy storage heaters that we kept on during winter. The heat generated from them was minimal and after a couple of months when the cold kicked in got an oil filled radiator for the living room only. Storage heaters have been turned off now for at least 2 if not 3 months.

I have received 3 quartely bills since i moved in.

1: £280 (ish)
2: £340 (ish)
3: £250 (ish)

Both of us work so are out mon-fri during day time. On this basis we are going to be doing well over a grand a year on electric.

The property has no gas.

I think this is excessive, anyone else think so too?

I have tried looking at the boiler as the water that comes out of there is always scalding hot and was looking at turning the thermostat down although cannot find one. How is this regulated (the kit looks quite old and dated)?

Any advice to help me reduce this bill...

Cheers

M-O-R

(PS: I have looked at changing supplier (i am with powergen or Npower - cant remember which now - although uswitch said there isnt a cheaper supplier in my area - although im not overly convinced thats true)

Do come back and tell us what the problem is!

Hi Guys/Gals,

Thanks for all the tips/advice.

Will work on them at some point this week, although not tonight as M-O-R has a hot date! ;)

Will provide an update before the week is out.

Cheers...

(If anyone else has an electric only property could they advise of whay they pay per annum/quarter/month etc.)

Thanks

M-O-R

This may seem beyond blindingly obvious (sorry if this is insulting), but these are based on actual meter readings, and not estimates?

Giblets46 said:
This may seem beyond blindingly obvious (sorry if this is insulting), but these are based on actual meter readings, and not estimates?

Hi Giblets 46,

Yes, based upon estimates, but i have checked against the meter as and when they come in and are pretty accurate.

Cheers

M-O-R

the temperature ajustment may be under the cover on the end off the element on the tank with one ot 2 screws to gain accesss turn off power before removing the cover

i take it theres a timer on the imersion or you turn it on once in the evening and morning for an hour or so
as 24 hr running would explain a lot of power consumption especialy if its turned up to high or not properly lagged

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back