will looking at the sun through binoculars really blind you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well will it? I was thinking about this today looking at the planes flying over us at the shoreham airshow. I can always remember my mum telling me that, and being petrified of doing it. So will it really do it or is it an old wives tale?

Sponsored Links
it may corrupt you, perhaps the daily telegraph or times would be better?

Well will it? I was thinking about this today looking at the planes flying over us at the shoreham airshow. I can always remember my mum telling me that, and being petrified of doing it. So will it really do it or is it an old wives tale?
the u.v sunlight from the sun will damage your eyes over a period of time , so its best to avoid looking directly at the sun unless your looking through u.v protected glasses.

Sponsored Links
Oh ill go and try that then, look out for it on you tube!

I just wondered since i cant beleive through history no-one has ever done it even accidentily, yet ive never heard of it happening!

Try taking a pair of binoculars out in the sun, focus to infinity, point at sun then hold a piece of paper at eyepiece where your eye would be, when the paper gets scorched then burst into flames there is your answer.

Wotan

Try taking a pair of binoculars out in the sun, focus to infinity, point at sun then hold a piece of paper at eyepiece where your eye would be, when the paper gets scorched then burst into flames there is your answer.

Wotan
Never thought of that . I only got night viz. ones I use @ Devil`s Dyke and Ashdown Forest :oops:

Wotan beat me to it!

Thermo, did you lead a sheltered life as a young boy?
Did you never mess around with a magnifying glass? Trying to burn the wings off Daddy Long Legs? Give a butterfly extra markings? Light a fire?
Or are you a youngster constrained by the H&S zealots?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

oh no burnt lotsof stuff with magnifying glasses....matches....lighters....two sticks

i just wondrede if it was really true and if it was an instant effect, never wanting to try it myself! never heard of it happening so i wondered if it was an old wives tale.

I'm sure someone through history has done it, maybe when Gallileo first invented them some numpty tried it.
(Think it was Gallileo who invented them, stand corrected if wrong.)

Wotan beat me to it!

Thermo, did you lead a sheltered life as a young boy?
Did you never mess around with a magnifying glass? Trying to burn the wings off Daddy Long Legs? Give a butterfly extra markings? Light a fire?
Or are you a youngster constrained by the H&S zealots?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Bet he never played with calcium carbide or magnesium ribbon either. :p :p

Sponsored Links
Back