Will removing a TRV lead to water leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps I'm not asking the question correctly, but what I mean to ask is whether removing thermostatic radiator valve (the top part which turns to control the temperature), will lead to water flooding out everywhere?

If not, how are these replaceable so that if one gets faulty it can be replaced - do they just screw off and screw on? Do they have to be the same manufacturer or are they industry standard fit?

My mother is complaining the radiator in her room is not hot (it has been aired/bled) but the TRV seems to be loose. I'm not sure if I can just tighten it or replace it.

Can someone also briefly explain how the TRV actually works as there are not mechanical parts as such which switch the water off to the rad is there?[/i]

Sponsored Links
my suggestion is swap it for top on a radiator in another room in the short term then take it to the plumbers merchant for possible suitable replacement

Hi

You haven't answers my main question which is whether it easily unscrews or where it will leak water etc. it won't need draining or anything right?

The most likely cause is that the valve is stuck shut, replacing the head of the valve will make no difference at all. It needs a new valve really but removing the head and lifting the pin up a couple of mm may well get the rad working. You won't be able to use the head again though as when it closes due to the desired temp being reached chances are it will never open again automatically.
Leaving the head off means you loose temp control in that room and rad will be on when ever heating is on.
Warning- if you pull on that pin to hard and to much you could have all the heating water trying to pour out if the pin comes out the valve.
Best bet if you don't feel comfortable is to have the valve replaced.

Sponsored Links
The head of the trv does un screw and water should not leak out.
If the head is already loose and on its highest setting it is goosed!
Ps- make sure valve on other side of rad is open to!

Thanks for the detailed reply. According to this video the pin will never come out? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phFW-IIsH54

Could I not just spray some wd40 or lubricant geese on the pin so that it travels up and down more smoothly?im guessing as the TRV is loose and for whatever reason is not screwed on properly, maybe that's the cause of it. Judged wanted to make sure first I can't create a leak.

Thx.

Yes wd40 will help. Take head off. Check to see if the problem is because the pin has seized in the fully depressed position. Pushing down on it with a hard object will normally push the pin down. If it won't push down further then it is already fully depressed. Spray wd40 and tap the pin gently till it rises. Then work it up and down till it moves freely and put the head back on.

A TRV head is filled with either wax or a liquid which expands as the temperature in the room increases pushing the pin down shutting the flow of water to that rad.
As the room temperature drops the wax/liquid retracts allowing the pin to spring back up opening the valve allowing the rad to heat up again until it reaches the setting on the head.

Removed the TRV and it seems the pin was more or less up but have sprayed it with WD40 anyway and tapped it with a hammer and seems to go up and down ok. That said , it is hard to push down using just your thumb. Can surprised that some expansion of wax can do the same thing properly.

Heat a bit better now on the rad.

Thx.

it is hard to push down using just your thumb.
You are pushing against a spring, which opens the valve when you remove the pressure.

surprised that some expansion of wax can do the same thing properly.
There is only few mm movement between open and closed. Liquid, or gas, filled TRVs are better as they have a faster response.

Wax filled thermostats have been used to control vehicle cooling systems for nearly a hundred years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back