Wireless internet

I

imamartian

can you use an existing 'wired' desktop pc aswell as a wireless laptop?

is it just a case of getting a splitter for the cable?

Sponsored Links
can you use an existing 'wired' desktop pc aswell as a wireless laptop?

What do you want them to do? If its to share Internet connection then yes but you will need a wireless Internet modem router

imamartian said:
If you're thinking of splitting the ADSL signal, then no - that isn't possible. However, as the previous poster says, you can connect a router to your modem, or a router that includes a modem, and route the Internet connection to a large number of computers.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, i have this pc - wired. And i want to get a laptop too which i want to be use wire free sometimes also...

Yeah, i have this pc - wired. And i want to get a laptop too which i want to be use wire free sometimes also...

Your turn of phrase is quite confusing. So I'm going to assume you have a desktop PC you want "wired" to the internet and a laptop you want "wireless" to the internet.

First we need to know what you currently have. Do you have a USB modem attached to your PC or do you have a router?

ah right, apologies...

I have a desktop pc which plugs into a usb modem which in turn is plugged into a phone socket in the wall. I don't believe it is a router.

And yes, i intend to buy a laptop, and i'd like to use that wireless on the internet.

thanks

ah right, apologies...

I have a desktop pc which plugs into a usb modem which in turn is plugged into a phone socket in the wall. I don't believe it is a router.

And yes, i intend to buy a laptop, and i'd like to use that wireless on the internet.

thanks

No problem -- It's my job to try and read between the lines :)

In that case the only real solution is to buy a Wireless router. This will offer exactly what you are asking for . Yay.

Thanks bron.
So if i buy a wireless router, and i have an ADSL USB modem, what do i plug into what ?

And what kit do i need on my new laptop? I have seen advertised wireless cards and wireless lan aerials.

Thanks

You need an ADSL compatible modem/router. This is a router with the modem built in. I used to have a Netgear one when I had ADSL, it sets up pretty easily if you know your password and user name through your isp (which you should but I meet lots of people who don't :eek: )

Pretty much all new laptops have built in wifi. Don't get one that hasn't!

For older and crap laptops, you use a wireless pcmcia card.

Thanks bron.
So if i buy a wireless router, and i have an ADSL USB modem, what do i plug into what ?

And what kit do i need on my new laptop? I have seen advertised wireless cards and wireless lan aerials.

Thanks

With a router you will not need the USB Modem at all. On a basic level think of a router as a Fusebox for your internet connection. It provides a constant on connection to the internet (while it's turned on) which you can spur from either wired or wireless.

Any laptop you buy these days will have a wireless card built into the unit, just ask if it's wireless ready when you enquire.

Does you PC have a network port? You'll need one to connect the router to your PC unless you want to try another method such as via a wireless USB adaptor which can be a bit awkward. If need be you can buy a PCI network card for not a lot of money.

Sponsored Links
Back