Wireless router with two PCs

S

sparkyspike

Hello

Not sure if this should be in hardware or software...

I have a BT Voyager router with an ethernet and a usb output. I can use either for my desktop. After getting a wireless ready laptop, I bought a Belkin extender so as to convert the router to wireless but continue using the router for the PC. This was by the advice of PC World. However, although both the desktop (plugged in direct) and laptop (plugged in via the extender) do work, they won't work together. I have tried using the ethernet output of the router to go to the wireless and the usb to go to the desktop. I do not get a connection on the desktop.

So...

Either I have been mis-sold the extender, or I need to do something with the computer to make it work. Or maybe I just can't use two computers at the same time.

Is there a quick fix, or do I need to go out and buy a wireless router with separate ethernet outputs, such as a Netgear one? Maybe I could get a freebie from my provider.

Sponsored Links
I would simply get a Wireless Router... Can't BT supply you with one? Admittedly I have a separate Modem (NTL) and WiFi Router (Linksys) and its forever tripping and have to check both for lights on, power, connectors etc..etc. It would be must simpler to have a combined unit if you ask me but then again that might not resolve your problem

First, Ring up your provider & ask them if they have a wireless router you can have for free.

Then (if they agree to send you one) take the extender back to PCW, packed up saying it does not work with the setup that you described to the salesman.

looking at the router pages here it does say on them that you can use both at the same time.

Are you able to get into the router setup page? there may be something in there that allows you to use both.
(couild be a DHCP setting problem).

or call Bt tech support on 0845 600 7030 and ask them how to do it.

Possible that you use either the USB or the ethernet port, not both at the same time. Return the wireless access point and buy a wireless router, as others have suggested.

Sponsored Links
The BT Voyager range can use both at once (I thought they could not so checked).

What model is the modem/router?

Hi Matty

I have a BT Voyager205. The extender is a Belkin F5D7132. If you reckon I can use USB and Ethernet (out of the BT router) at the same time, then maybe it's some sort of confliction with my two computers and their IP addresses. I wouldn't have a clue how to deal with this, so I might save myself a headache and get a new router from BT if I can.... Unless you reckon it's easy to sort out??? PS - I tried BT and Belkin helplines before posting here. They weren't any help, but after 3 hours on the phone I'm now fluent in Bengalese.

How do you normally connect the desktop PC to the router?
If you are connecting it via USB, do you have the USB drivers installed for it?

You can check the IP address of your PC by going to the start menu, run, enter CMD return, a command box should open. Type IPCONFIG/ALL and it will display the IP addys the PC.

This was by the advice of PC World.
Oh dear. :(

Either I have been mis-sold the extender, or I need to do something with the computer to make it work.
It won't work - you were mis-sold the extender.

Is there a quick fix, or do I need to go out and buy a wireless router with separate ethernet outputs, such as a Netgear one?
If you need an average wireless range then you won't do better than the DG834g.

Maybe I could get a freebie from my provider.
Have you ever heard the saying that something you get for nothing isn't worth very much?

Why wont it work Softus? Can you expand on why you say it will not work?

The OP has said that both access methods work independently, the model of modem/router does work with both being accessed its just not accessing them together.

Sparkyspike, can you access the config pages for both items?

Is the F5D7132 setup as an access point & can you identify its IP?

It sounds to me more like the BT Voyager is having DHCP problems assigning an IP to more than 1 device when one of them is also using DHCP. or perhaps just another config problem, one of those that you slap your head when you see it after looking at the setup :D

I have had this problem before trying to get 2 routers to work by plugging one into the other.
You could try & set the voyager to fixed IP's (define the PC IP & the F5D7132 & set them).

I'm pretty sure that I have a 7132 on my network, although I dont think I have ever tried plugging it into the router.

However, if your still able to return the wireless point then I would, a wireless router can be obtained for very similar money and would solve your problem. You will also have a slower connection using the USB port and will have to tell whatever is attached to it to not turn the device into sleep mode.

You can find out more about the Voyager205 by Googling, one site of interest is here.

the router Softus mentions is available in many places, here is just an example.

I'm currently using one of these (I think its that one) on Sky & it works OK.
Although the wireless range is sometimes a bit flakey up in the attics.

Ok guys, thanks for all your help. I'm going to save myself time and go out and buy a DG834g or something similar. Seems cheap enough. And I'll take the extender back and shove ** ** ***** *****. At least this way I'll get a set-up disk and won't have to bother going into one or both PCs to sort stuff out.

Why wont it work Softus? Can you expand on why you say it will not work?]
You said yourself that it doesn't work, as follows:

The OP has said that both access methods work independently, the model of modem/router does work with both being accessed its just not accessing them together.

the router Softus mentions is available in many places, here is just an example.

I'm currently using one of these (I think its that one) on Sky & it works OK.
Although the wireless range is sometimes a bit flakey up in the attics.
In that case get a DG834gt instead.

Don't think the range is any better on the GT version. Wifi is 108mbps if I can ever get the thing to work at that speed!

sparkyspike said:
At least this way I'll get a set-up disk and won't have to bother going into one or both PCs to sort stuff out.
Don't bother with the router setup disk, it plugs into the ethernet socket on your desktop PC and doesn't need software to talk.

Sponsored Links
Back