Wiring a light onto the alarm isolator fuse

Sponsored Links
Back to original question. 300W and 3 amp will go, but it defeats the object of having a separate circuit for the alarm. If the element in the bulb fails it could trip the MCB due to a surge during the failure. You don't say what sort of alarm but this could set off the alarm (mains failure) or simply cause it not to work and you wouldn't know.
Going back 50 years, many bed heaters were electric light bulbs in aluminium boxes and were fine, so, in principle the idea is workable, although 300W is quite a large bulb. Heating tape is not very expensive and easy to fit and forget (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CCPGE02.html).HTH.

I asked will a 300w bulb work on a 3amp circuit, can anyone answer that

OK then, No, I can't!

You do have a small issue of discrimination.

You have a 3A MCB followed by a 3A 1362 fuse.

When I installed alarm panels, I always fitted at 2A fuse as per manufacturer's instructions.

While the breaker and fuse may be tolerant, the idea of putting the BA on a dedicated circuit was to avoid any disconnection due to faults elsewhere. So, as has been said, if your lamp fails, so will the supply to the BA...

Still, you're gonna do what you like. I really don't know why you guys bother posting here only to ignore all the advice anyhow. :rolleyes:

What's also worrying is that the person planning to ignore any advice which doesn't agree with what he's already decided to do knows so little about electricity that he has to ask if a 300W lamp will work on a 3A circuit....

Sponsored Links
Thanks securespark, I am not going to use the alarm circuit. Just going to leave it as is. Ban-all-sheds good to know you can read my mind, oh and thanks for not reading my previous posts and jumping to conclusions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back