Wiring modular switche

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've checked the wiki and there's nothing in there for wiring up modular sockets and switches.

I want to replace some ugly 2g FCUs with modular units housing a 13a outlet and a switch for the sockets supplying my integrated appliances.

The existing FCUs are in-circuit with a spur off to an unswitched socket for the appliance. Where I'm getting confused is that I want to put an outlet in the new module - that's simple; just terminate the 'in' and 'out' into the 13a outlet as you normally would, but how do I then get a live feed to my switch for the spur and what do I then do with the neutral which feeds my appliance outlet?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I want to replace some ugly 2g FCUs with modular units housing a 13a outlet and a switch for the sockets supplying my integrated appliances.
Never seen a two-gang FCU.

The existing FCUs are in-circuit with a spur off to an unswitched socket for the appliance. Where I'm getting confused is that I want to put an outlet in the new module - that's simple;
Is it?

just terminate the 'in' and 'out' into the 13a outlet as you normally would,
Are you getting confused with connecting to the ring and supplying the appliance.

but how do I then get a live feed to my switch for the spur and what do I then do with the neutral which feeds my appliance outlet?
There are connections for each on an FCU.

However, you do not need an FCU. There will be a fuse in the plug.
Just use a 20A double pole switch although neither is necessary unless you want to do it.

Do they make two gang FCU's?
Show us some photographs of what you have.

Sponsored Links
Never seen a two-gang FCU.

The existing FCUs are in-circuit with a spur off to an unswitched socket for the appliance. Where I'm getting confused is that I want to put an outlet in the new module - that's simple;
Is it?

just terminate the 'in' and 'out' into the 13a outlet as you normally would,
Are you getting confused with connecting to the ring and supplying the appliance.

but how do I then get a live feed to my switch for the spur and what do I then do with the neutral which feeds my appliance outlet?
There are connections for each on an FCU.

However, you do not need an FCU. There will be a switch in the plug.
Just use a 20A double pole switch although neither is necessary unless you want to do it.

Sorry - looks like I worded that badly. The existing FCUs are 1G, I'm replacing with 2G modules so that I can have an extra outlet above worktop.

If I was only replacing the FCU with an outlet module, there wouldn't be any confusion because it's no different to wiring up a normal outlet. Doing this will put the outlet in the ring circuit in place of the FCU. However, I need to also fit a 16a switch module to switch my integrated appliance. Once I've wired up the new outlet for the module, I'm only left with my twin&earth which feeds my appliance socket. The new switch module only has 2 terminals (one way switch) live1 and com. I would normally terminate the live for the appliance socket into the com terminal. This leaves me requiring a live feed for the switch (do I just run a single live between the other outlet module and the switch) and also leaves me with a neutral going to the appliance socket and nowhere to terminate it.

modular units housing a 13a outlet and a switch
What's the difference between one of those

and one of these:

MKK2747.JPG

:?:

modular units housing a 13a outlet and a switch
What's the difference between one of those

and one of these:

MKK2747.JPG

:?:

That's simply a 2G switched socket. What I'm doing is a 2G modular frame with a single unswitched 13a outlet and a switch which switches an outlet in another location as required for all integrated appliances.

Not only is it not required, IMO an accessory with a switch and a socket outlet which is not controlled by the switch would be unnecessarily confusing for people.

Not only is it not required, IMO an accessory with a switch and a socket outlet which is not controlled by the switch would be unnecessarily confusing for people.

Interesting! Kitchen fitter I know said it was a requirement now! Might reconsider in that case...

as required for all integrated appliances.
It's not 'required' (by any regulation); it is fashion and up to you if you want one.
While I agree it is not a regulation, I'm not sure it is just fashion either - after all it still appears as Guidance in both the Yellow On-Site-Guide and the Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations.
Although a cluster of 20A DP Grid switches (with name plates) do look better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back