Wiring modular switche

I second fixed a kitchen last week that was only partially rewired, they had 6 FCU's along one wall!! Grid switches would definitely have been better, only needed two fuses. It looked ridiculous

Sponsored Links
I've not got the yellow OSG - what does it say?

1. Notes to Table H7. Onsite Guide Yellow edition.

Appliances built into kitchen furniture (integrated appliances) should be connected to a socket outlet or switched fused connection unit that is accessible when the appliance is in place and in normal use. Alternatively, where an appliance is supplied from a socket outlet or a connection unit, this should be controlled by an accessible double-pole switch or switched fused connection unit. It is recommended that wall mounted socket outlets above a work surface are spaced at not more than 1m intervals along the surface.

We have a regulation book of well over four hundred pages which itself is not statutory (this non-statutory status is emphasised on every course and exam for some reason).

That someone is presumably paid for writing and publishing something else in other numerous pointless publications (OSG, guides, approved documents etc.) is entirely irrelevant and the cause of endless confusion.

Sponsored Links
SO, if I read the GUIDANCE
where an appliance is supplied from a socket outlet or a connection unit, this should be controlled by an accessible double-pole switch or switched fused connection unit.
A standard socket outlet with its own double-pole switch meets this.

SO, if I read the GUIDANCE
where an appliance is supplied from a socket outlet or a connection unit, this should be controlled by an accessible double-pole switch or switched fused connection unit.
A standard socket outlet with its own double-pole switch meets this.
More poor wording, I suspect! I imagine that they meant to write something like "...where an appliance is supplied from a normally inaccessible socket outlet or a connection unit, this should be ...".

Kind Regards, John

It doesn't matter what is meant.

It is guidance so it may be reinterpreted any way seen fit.

I could write another guide interpreting their interpretations of the intended intentions by not being in any regulation.

It doesn't matter what is meant. It is guidance so it may be reinterpreted any way seen fit.
Indeed it can, but you may nevertheless be underestimating the potential 'power' of guidelines. In many fields, a lot of operational details are dealt with in 'guidelines', rather than regulations or legislation. Although, in a literal sense, compliance with guidelines is not 'mandatory', official bodies/agencies often put a lot of weight on what the guidelines say when reaching decisions as to what actions, proposals or whatever are 'reasonable' or acceptable. Just as it's not mandatory to comply with BS7671, demonstrating that one has complied with Part P would be an uphill struggle for most people if they hadn't complied with BS7671 (which, as far as the law is concerned can, I suppose, be thought of as a ('non-mandatory') 'guideline').

Kind Regards, John

Alright, 7671 is the guide we (as per schemes) must follow.

Writing these others which differ is therefore - what's the word? - futile and I am astounded at their power and the power of fashion.

From March 31 2016 ring final circuits are no longer allowed to be installed - pass the word.

See how long it is before that comes back.

Indeed. However, even if the scheme operators make it 'mandatory' for their members to follow that 'guide', the law obviously doesn't impose a corresponding insistence. I presume that the scheme operators could require you to also comply with the OSG if they wanted to (I think they require you to have an up-to-date copy).
Writing these others which differ is therefore - what's the word? - futile and I am astounded at their power and the power of fashion.
I would certainly agree in terms of "third party guides", which represent the opinion of an individual as regards interpretation and implementation of the regulations. I would, however, say that it's a bit different when the guide is published by (and presumably written by) the same organisation that publishes the regulations. There's a similar issue in terms of the relationship between the 'Approved Documents' and the actual legislation they relate to - both published by 'government'.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed. However, even if the scheme operators make it 'mandatory' for their members to follow that 'guide', the law obviously doesn't impose a corresponding insistence. I presume that the scheme operators could require you to also comply with the OSG if they wanted to (I think they require you to have an up-to-date copy).
Unfortunately they do, but do not know why.
I didn't buy one a couple of years ago and had to order it on-line there and then to 'pass'.

There's a similar issue in terms of the relationship between the 'Approved Documents' and the actual legislation they relate to - both published by 'government'.
:)

I would, however, say that it's a bit different when the guide is published by (and presumably written by) the same organisation that publishes the regulations.
But there's a disclaimer in the OSG which says it might be a pile of negligent incompetent poo and in the Preface it says that following it does not ensure compliance with BS 7671, which people should always consult.

Mine is red - I have no plans to get any more colours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back