Worcester 28CDi Heat Exchanger Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning
I had a very small leak coming from the union where the plate heat exchanger connects to the diverter valve. I wanted to leave it alone as it was about one drip a day. I knew what could happen but the missus was giving me grief about it! Anyway, I nipped up the nut, refilled the boiler and the leak has stopped, BUT a much larger one has now started where this same pipe enters the exchanger itself.

My question is:-

Is this fitting screwed in or is it a soldered joint? If it is screwed in, tightening the nut on the other end may have turned the pipe and slacked it off on the exchanger. From memory I recall one (or more) of the exchanger fittings was hexagonal on the inside? If I remove the heat Ex. will I be able to tighten this connection or am I looking at having to purchase a new exchanger? I don't want to take the exchanger off unless there is a chance I can re-seal it, or I have a new one available to throw straight back in.

Thanks for reading. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Craig

Sponsored Links
You have not described which connection is it or posted a photo. I think you mean a cold water inlet?

I suspect it may be one which has two sealing surfaces inside. But it might just be one "O" ring.

I would always take joints apart knowing that I have bits and skills which will usually enable me to sort them out. DIYers dont have that advantage.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Exactly. I expect there's a good chance I won't have the bits I need to repair it once I take it apart.

When looking at the boiler from the front the leak is coming from the lower of the two connections on the left hand side of the plate heat exchanger. The original leak was the end of this connection at the diverter valve (the one with the fibre washer in it) but now the leak is at the other end, right at the flat surface of the plate. I've had this exchanger out twice when doing the diverter valve, but I can't recall having to disturb anything at this connection point. I think I remember that I just undid the connection to the divertor valve, the one with the fibre washer in and the connection with the silver U plate pressure plate (no idea how to describe this one!) The other 2, I think just pulled off and I replaced the O rings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back