Worcester Greenstar 28i

well if you wana pay over the odds then be it.

It's easy to say that, but for the layperson it's very very difficult finding an independent you can trust. Obviously only trustworthy people come on this board but there are a lot of sharks out there and whilst £230 sounds a lot it could still be a lot cheaper than the wrong independent and is guaranteed by the mfr, always a bonus.

My first experience of getting a boiler fixed cost me around £370 for an air pressure switch to be replaced on an apollo fanfare, from what I gather the switch itself was £80 quid so back then (10 years ago) I was charged £234+VAT for labour which included him going away TWICE to get the correct switch (the shop gave him the wrong one the first time he said).

I'm no heating engineer, but he found the fault in about 20 mins and it took not much longer to replace, so the rest was just made up/travel time and "going over the hour" several times.

My most recent previous boiler had the 5year WB extended guarantee which I paid for and apart from their guy breaking it on its first service I think that was a good deal from a co I would trust.

If I could cover my "new" boiler (a Gloworm Ultimate 80FF) with the mfr I would do so in an instant but it's just too old :(

Sponsored Links
a Gloworm Ultimate 80FF
Things were different then. Any honest independent should be able to look after that wth no problems!

It's easy to say that, but for the layperson it's very very difficult finding an independent you can trust. Obviously only trustworthy people come on this board but there are a lot of sharks out there and whilst £230 sounds a lot it could still be a lot cheaper than the wrong independent and is guaranteed by the mfr, always a bonus.

(

If the OP was local then I would have repaired the boiler for a total of £136.

Thats a lot less than £230 !

Its such a pity that so many people dont trust independents and prefer to pay so much more.

If the OP was local then I would have repaired the boiler for a total of £136.

That's a lot less than £230 !

Tony if you want to replace the plate on a Junior for £136 you can sub-contract for me :) A new plate's around £100. Have you taken out the hydroblock on these? The last one took me 3 hours...PITA job.

That Worcester price is cheaper than I'd charge although they charge a lot more round here.

Sponsored Links
Its such a pity that so many people dont trust independents and prefer to pay so much more.
It's not that we don't trust but after been recommended 3 plumbers by 3 difference friends which were all useless so we gave up, however we know you don't tar every plumbers with the same brush but they do give the good plumbers a bad name :(

Hey London is local to Southend :mrgreen:

so tony you charge about £30 for a fix.

so thats travelling to look at boiler and diagnose. then going off to source the heat exchanger, return and then fit.

so thats at least half a day for £30. so you normally charge £60 a day?? wow, just wow, are you one of these rgi's that charge £20 for a landlords safety cert?

have you won the lottery and this is just a hobby pal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back