Working for British Gas these days

I'm 30 odd and didn't really pay much attension to the news when I was growing up so could someone explain what is meant by the gas board?

I take it the gas board became British Gas? :?:

Sponsored Links
...they sent out letters to all engineers telling them to either sign new contracts accepting new shift patterns or they would be sacked. ...
Empty threat.
Doesn't make them any less of a bunch of assholes though.

Been with them nearly 7 years..not the worst company to work for, for sure, decent benefites, shares/pension,was unlimited o/t...

but now it's getting a tad boring with the repeated requests for upgrades/leads/cod's......etc

It doesn't seem to matter if you are a good engineer because unless you are getting 2leads/2cod's/800upgrades a month then the pre4ssure is piled on you. I can only see it getting worse also.

I have been in the negative once since they introduced the last individual bonus system, it will be interesting to see what the new bnus systems shows..........................

I think it'll start to get busier over the next couple of months and overtime will be ack on again..wether people will jump to do it i don't know.

I'm 30 odd and didn't really pay much attension to the news when I was growing up so could someone explain what is meant by the gas board?

Basically in the 1980's a government found a fantastic way to obtain votes. Sell off the state owned utilites, so now we all pay shareholders profits for our essential utilites.

It would be quite a nice idea if another government grabbed them back for us. Everyone would vote for them next time round whoever does it.

Sponsored Links
We may be paying something to shareholders, but prices for gas, electricity and phone would be a damned site higher if there was no competition.
Do you not remember how prices came down after deregulation?

My mate has been gien oil and been told to oil every fan on a "service"

there recent radio advert about free swimming almost got me to sign up

My mate has been gien oil and been told to oil every fan on a "service"

there recent radio advert about free swimming almost got me to sign up

i assume your "mate" ignored said advice like i did.

What did happen to 'Fan Lube'? :)
i think some nugget sprayed it on a fan when it was working and the boiler caught light, something along them lines, anyway, it was an ideal boiler so they let him off as the customer was better off. :LOL: :LOL:

Basically in the 1980's a government found a fantastic way to obtain votes. Sell off the state owned utilites, so now we all pay shareholders profits for our essential utilites.

It would be quite a nice idea if another government grabbed them back for us. Everyone would vote for them next time round whoever does it.
"A government" THE EVIL BITCH did it :evil:

A little History lesson..... Once Upon a Time . A man came home from the War.. got a job with the Gas Board ( he`d trained as a plumber before) Was given a Council House for him and his family. So he could afford to live modestly.His wife didn`t need to work unless she wanted to .When he retired he would get a good pension . He and his family got free NHS dentist. hospital. Free milk for the kids @ school. His daughter was bright, went to a Girl`s Grammar School and then Uni.for free. BUT he was and always would be " Working Class"... NOW we`re all Middle Class :rolleyes: Just look at Kevplumbs signature .....Says it all. That`s what you chose.

BUMP

Im new to this site and its interesting to read posts by other bg engineers.

Anyone know of any dismissals in their patches recently?

And a rumour that tsms are having to reapply for their jobs??

New performance measurements are total nonsense!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back