Young people and STI's.....

vokera80e said:
get sir bob geldof on the case...thats assuming he would have the time to take up the task.He'll kick a few backsides don't you think ?

Yes that would be great - but have you noticed that all of the so called 'stars' are more than happy to represent 'heart disease', 'strokes', 'osteoporosis', 'breast cancer' etc but no one is happy to come forward (apart from gay men) and wave the banner for sexual health - even though most of them have probably had something at some time! ;)

Sponsored Links
hermes said:
paulbrown said:
Whats your point? A picture of one person couldn't be a mix of any description.

It could easily reflect a racial mix.

Don't follow, how can a picture of one person reflect a racial mix?

Sponsored Links
Back to your post Julie..

That can't be done - unless a Dr deems it to be in the best interests of a patient eg when a patient is unconscious and the treatment would be benificial/improve their state of health

It could be done..if an act was passed...but as I said previously the human rights brigade wouldnt have it...It seems that its ok to let a HIV spiral out of control ..killing both gays and hetros..as long as no-ones civil rights were infringed..

Lunacy!

JulieL/B.

What is your honest opinion of the official HiV/aids figures?

Is there a ratio of homegrown and imported(so to speak) sufferers.

Also(due too past ignorance) this used to be considered a gay issue, is that still the case, have attitudes changed much?

I ask as I seem to recall you commenting about this in the past.

paulbrown said:
hermes said:
paulbrown said:
Whats your point? A picture of one person couldn't be a mix of any description.

It could easily reflect a racial mix.

Don't follow, how can a picture of one person reflect a racial mix?

if one parent was black and the other white (for example) then this may be apparent fron your looks.

sorry for hijacking julie, I'll shut up now.

paulbrown said:
JulieL/B.

What is your honest opinion of the official HiV/aids figures?

Is there a ratio of homegrown and imported(so to speak) sufferers.

Also(due too past ignorance) this used to be considered a gay issue, is that still the case, have attitudes changed much?

I ask as I seem to recall you commenting about this in the past.

I've posted something from the Health Protection Agency so you can have a look - I've posted some of the information from the site that you've asked for (re gay men and BME groups) there is a lot more information but you will have to navigate round the site if you want to look at other groups of people.

All STI/HIV stats are about a year behind as data needs to be collected from all of the GUM clinics throughout the Country - 2005 figures are out in September this year - I'm going to the conference so I'll post an update after I've been - (if any of you are interested)

Regarding stigmatisation of gay men in relation to HIV - during the past 20 yrs I have seen a massive turnaround in this area - unfortunately though there are still problems in relation to this - many gay men are stigmatised even amongst their own group.......it isn't ideal but it's better than what it was......and as time goes on things will get better and better

However, I would say that the groups who suffer most at the moment in relation to stigma and prejudice (re HIV/AIDS) are the African groups of asylum seekers and refugees - again there is massive prejudice generated not only amongst the general community but from within their own ethnic groups

http://www.hpa.org.uk/hpa/publications/hiv_sti_2005/part1hiv.htm

http://www.hpa.org.uk/hpa/publications/hiv_sti_2005/execsummary.htm

http://www.hpa.org.uk/hpa/publications/hiv_sti_2005/msm.htm

http://www.hpa.org.uk/hpa/publications/hiv_sti_2005/bme.htm

You mention prejudice a few times there Julie..and im not doubting your knowledge in this field but a (straight) friend of mine told me of his brother who had an HIV scare (albeit through ignorance than knowledge) last year and contacted he's local std clinic he said that one of the first questions he was asked was 'are you gay or bisexual or have you been to any african states recently'...

He answered 'no' on both counts but was told that these are still the higher risk groups.

I mentioned this to a relation of mine who works on a gay helpline and he said its (gay) the highest incedence of case's ...people returning from africa, are african or half slep with an african are the current high risk group...but the fastest increase in cases are hetros at present

I know from the way that young people I know act that they dont bother with condoms..and that worries me to death because of my own kids future.

Zampa said:
You mention prejudice a few times there Julie..and im not doubting your knowledge in this field but a (straight) friend of mine told me of his brother who had an HIV scare (albeit through ignorance than knowledge) last year and contacted he's local std clinic he said that one of the first questions he was asked was 'are you gay or bisexual or have you been to any african states recently'...

He answered 'no' on both counts but was told that these are still the higher risk groups.

I mentioned this to a relation of mine who works on a gay helpline and he said its (gay) the highest incedence of case's ...people returning from africa, are african or half slep with an african are the current high risk group...but the fastest increase in cases are hetros at present

I know from the way that young people I know act that they dont bother with condoms..and that worries me to death because of my own kids future.

Hi Zampa
I just finished my post to you and my laptops battery went flat :evil: I bet you've gone to bed by now!!!
Anyway.....you are right I do mention prejudices - mainly to point out that the stigma attached to the 'groups' of people who have HIV is problematic and can prevent them seeking help etc

If you have read the info I put up from the Health Protection Agency - gay men have the most number of HIV infections - heterosexual infections are the 'fastest' increasing group but this is mostly from imported HIV - the vast majority of all heterosexual diagnosis is from people originating from certain parts of Africa

However, I have given positive results to a few people who haven't appeared to have a connection to an 'at risk' group - what I would say in relation to your kids is teach them all about STI and HIV - empower them with the knowledge and confidence to negotiate safer sex - research show the more open you are and talk to kids about sex issues the more they are able to make responsible descisions regarding their sexual health.

Thank god I've only got cats rather than kids to worry about ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for that Julie...Interesting your figures more or less confirm what I was saying..but there seems a stigma attached also to the way health advisors put the info across..being diplomatic slightly in not suggesting gays or africans are still the highest risk...when not so long back we were lead to beleive that they were not as much of a threat as hetros who have the most significant increase in case...do you think some health advisors may hold back slightly thus to avoid looking like they are branding gays and africans as high risk?

I had a shock a while back when I mentioned 'the pox' to my eldest girl..(19)..she didnt know what V.D meant..she hadnt heard of Gonnoria (spelling) or ciff even..nor nsu...and that worried me!

You can only guide them so much and advise..and just pray you have done enough.

Unfortunatly these diseases hold no social barriers..anyone can pas them on...from a Duke to a tramp..

Zampa said:
Thanks for that Julie...Interesting your figures more or less confirm what I was saying..but there seems a stigma attached also to the way health advisors put the info across..being diplomatic slightly in not suggesting gays or africans are still the highest risk...when not so long back we were lead to beleive that they were not as much of a threat as hetros who have the most significant increase in case...do you think they may hold back slightly thus to avoid looking like they are branding gays and africans as high risk

Releasing this kind of information will obviously cause some kind of reaction (I think I said something about this ages ago). However, stats like this have been produced for the past couple of years and are accessible to the public. In the past many public bodies (the government included) didn't want to be seen as being racist by releasing the true breakdown of the figures

It isn't about being racist it's about giving correct factual information to people - with this kind of statistical information we can hopefully address the needs and the inequalities of the people most requiring interventions and access to health care services by providing appropriate services within both the community and hospital based settings - although I can see how some people may react to this kind of information.

btw Zampa they are not my figures (perish the thought - are you trying to get me shot here or what?! :eek: ) they are figures produced by the Health Protection Agency

JulieL/B said:
joe-90 said:
Most of us have blood tests from time to time - why not screen for aids at the same time?

joe

That can't be done

It can if you change the rules or at the very least offer a test.

joe

Why aren't Africans and other immigrants refused entry if they are HIV pos?

joe

joe-90 said:
Why aren't Africans and other immigrants refused entry if they are HIV pos?

joe

Because it's not known when they come here - many of them aren't aware that they are positive until they become ill which can take years.

This Country hasn't made it complulsary to test people who come to live here - it is seen as an infringement on human rights.

Many other Countrties insisit on having the paper work prior to emigration - such as USA, Australia
Places like China and Russia insist on it even if you're going there to work for a short time - I know students who are going to teach or do voluntary work have to have it as part of their VISA paperwork

The USA also insist on their own population having a syphilis test prior to them getting married - not sure about a HIV test though

Sponsored Links
Back