Your blinkered Mr Southgate

Sponsored Links
Some people are like that

"...Libya has the potential to turn the city of Sirte into the next Dubai, once it has cleared the dead bodies away. Johnson made the comments..."

Last edited:
At the end of the day, 99% of the time, money talks. And for those involved whether players, managers, pundits, fans, whoever, most come out with some sort of faux sincerity around the whole thing and/or trying to convince the public (and themselves?) that 'it's all okay.' And before you start, no, I'm not saying I might not do similar if in that position.

Many (most?) people seem to be of the opinion it shouldn't be held there, however it is being held there, so the faux rhetoric begins.

Don't worry though, I'm confident the likes of David Berkham's ad campaign for the region will be having a positive effect on changing the attitudes of those in power in these regions ...

Last edited:
It's a total disgrace. We should not be going...... as if those abused and used want a successful tournament..

It's a filthy world cup that I hope England get stuffed

Sponsored Links
Did you feel the same way about previous World Cups held in countries with less than ideal regimes?

Did you feel the same way about previous World Cups held in countries with less than ideal regimes?
The '78 shindig was a blast: tickertape; Dutch flair; Scottish failure...Archie fu**ing Gemill!! Argentina-Argentina-Argentina. And David Coleman commentary sounding like it was from the shed at the bottom of his garden. Fantastic.

fifa making billions out of it and from past record the bribes flying about must be making several people very rich

Vuvuvzelas banned this year or do the Qatarians like a good vuvuvzela.

Harry our captain says we are going to educate them while wearing his multie coloured armband...
Russia : did we think we were going to educate them too?

Plenty of discussion about the SA world cup if I remember.

Anymore ? Are you referring to Germany & Japan?

Last edited:
Will you be watching it?

I won't make a special effort.....I'll be supporting Canada & Australia. I feel for the likes of Wales and Canada as they don't qualify enough to take a stand.

Players and managers are not politicians, says Jurgen Klopp. "[You] journalists should've written about Qatar and leave the players to get on with the job [of winning the world cup]. Ian Hislop had a dig at Gary Neville last night about him going as a commentator and it was churlish to suggest he'd make a difference by staying away. The authorities in Qatar would simply say 'duly noted' and welcome another ex-player instead.
We've had 10 years to get used to this tournament and now it's here i'm going to watch some games that interest me and see how far England can get before tripping over their own feet. The game against Wales will be one for the ages, i hope.
Brazil are obvious favourites but i wonder if an African team might get as far as the semi's this time. Senegal, perhaps.

The Grauniad are rating all the teams chances at this tournament and today is England's turn: their record across the last 6 tournament's going back to '98 isn't bad: two q-f's and a semi-final but the defence looks creaky; Harry Maguire looks done, and maybe it's time to shake things up. I never think we're gonna win t'cup but will be happy with a few moments of glory, a near-miss, a penalty shoot-out and back home in time to watch the final on telly, like everyone else. So long as we beat the Welsh/Cymru.

Last edited:
This really should have been nipped in the bud. We all thought it a bit strange when they where awarded it along with Russia.

Our tory government want trade partners so they are not going to upset a wealthy nation.

Amnesty should have been shouting long long ago.

It is down to the footballers to practice what they preach.

Maybe it could be said the horse has bolted. If so all nations taking part should give every single penny to the families of the dead and those workers that where treated like slaves....

Gary Neville won't make a ripple if he boycotted the tournament however if a top English player did then that really would make a statement..

Harry Kane has security doors and safe rooms in his mansion to protect his family yet he doesn't give a jot for the families that have lost the Dad's & Husbands and children that built stadiums si he can Ply his trade.
He will wear a multie coloured arm band to educate Qatars .. highly educated business men.

I hear you, Bod, really i do but this piece by Barney Ronay will tell you it's not fair to put pressure on the manager and players to make a political statement when politicians have made £251,000 in 'perks' this year, being wined and dined by Qatari officials. And the matter of fans being paid to cheer on their team at the tournament is the final nail in the coffin: football sold its soul a long time ago; as a Chelsea fan, you should know that.

Sponsored Links
Back