Help with MCBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there just about to go and buy 2 16 amp MCB s for 2 panel heaters im installing however I was just wondering would the MCBs have to be Hager ones or would any other makes do , the boards only 6 months old and is Hager .....plus would I need RCBOs instead of MCB s for these heaters .....hopefully someone can clarify this for me as I dont want to buy the wrong things.......

Sponsored Links
If it is a Hager board then yes, you need to use Hager protective devices as the board will have been "Type Tested" with them. If you install anything else then the board is not fully type tested.
Are there any concealled cables less than 50mm from the surface? If so then to the 17th edn regs will need RCD protection, either by connecting an MCB to a bus bar fed from a 30mA RCD or by utilising RCBOs. Also as new circuits should be notified to your LABC under part P.

Thanks for quick response will hunt down hager ones so , The wiring is in surface mounted plastic trunking and each 2 kw heater is approx 15 metres away and 20 metres away so im running 4mm singles to supply these . So would you reccomend RCD protection or RCBO then ?
Im actually doing this in Ireland so different laws etc regarding notification ....all help much appreciated

There is no need to RCD protect the circuits if there are no concealed cables, unless for another reason for example a TT supply or a location requiring RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
Oh thats brilliant thanks was getting quite puzzled there so by concealed you mean the wiring to the appliance being chased in the wall for example . Heaters are just in a large room for a creche so would u say that due to there being kds around RCD protection would be required

Danny - I'm not having a go, but looking at this, and your other related post, you really don't appear to be basically competent, let alone a qualified electrician.

And if you're not a qualified electrician, should you be doing work in a creche? Or indeed anywhere that isn't your own home?

If, heaven forbid, something were to go wrong and someone was harmed, how would you be able to pay compensation?

Do you know if the people running the creche have examined their liability insurance to see if it allows them to have electrical work done by unqualified people?

Ditto the property owners and their buildings insurance?

Are you sure that you aren't behaving irresponsibly in doing this work, and allowing them to allow you to do it?

Your views are welcomed thanks for your concern im actually qualified beleieve it or not tho ive worked in maintenenace roles up until 2 years ago until I went out on site myself and have worked on many commercial and industrial jobs but ill be first to admit Im inexperienced in the domestic field im just asking for experienced peoples advice ....Im asking here so the job is done right I mean ive asked other things on this forum before and carried out jobs and im not afarid to ask for help as not all of us sparks know regs inside out so I feel this site is invaluable in that respect to erradicate unsafe work its a simple job I was just asking if I should use RCBOs thats all .....

Your views are welcomed thanks for your concern im actually qualified beleieve it or not
You're a qualified electrician and you can't even work out how much current an appliance draws: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=162596&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= ?

You're a qualified electrician and you don't know the basics of cable capacities and voltage drop: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103507&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= ?

You're a qualified electrician, working as such, and you can't identify the conductors in a simple lighting circuit: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132731&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= ?

And please don't give us any guff about comercial and domestic - watts are watts, amps are amps, ohms are ohms, lives are lives, switches are switches, voltage indicators are voltage indicators, continuity testers are continuity testers...

beleieve it or not
On balance, not.

Or if you are then you shouldn't be.

Jesus calm down why you being such an ass hole I am JIB registered but ill be the first to admit that ive plenty still to learn im only 22 so get off your high horse i was asking normal questions and luckily theres some decent chaps on here who pass on there knowledge instead of trying to be some sort of detective instead digging up posts from ages ago when I was still an apprentice ! I wont apoligise for asking questions on here its a forum not a whos the best spark in the world league table and in 10 years time ill hopefully pass on my knowledge to someone needing help who wants to become a better spark instead of being a **** !

Ah - so when you were working as a spark on that restaurant and you had to come to a DIY website for help on selecting a cable you were an apprentice were you? My apologies - I didn't know that. Did the restaurant?

And were you an apprentice yesterday when you weren't sure of the relationship between watts, volts and amps?

For a 2kW Heater, use a B10 Ten Amp breaker, no larger one needed. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back