lead to copper joints (wipe a joint)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i require a gas fitter to give me a detailed description of how they would make a cup joint (lead to copper pipe) or `wipe a joint as it is also known.
I`am a qualified gas fitter but have very little experience of making cup joints as i never really come across lead gas pipes. I would be greatful for any feedback on this topic, thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Bell the end of the lead out and clean the inside with a knife. tin the end of the copper and stick it in the end of the lead pipe, clamp in place.

Fill the gap with lead solder (not leadfree) and wipe it with the end of your finger, Em maybe not I have asbestos fingers, best to use a cloth :LOL:

Don't forget the flux, Yorkshire traditional is best but laco does work.

I don't know, I've done this a dozen or so times:

Clean inside the lead pipe (Cu fitting wire brush is OK)
Clean pipe
Flux inside lead (Laco is fine, you don't need Lard!)
Knock the copper into the lead (heavily inturned end helps)
Heat the whole area evenly then concentrate more on the copper, applying solder (leaded, lower mp) to the joint.
Make sure it's run round
Wire wool it if you're posh
Wonder what the fuss is about.

The first few times I tinned the end inch of the copper pipe with solder, which is probably a good idea for the minute it takes.

I do possess plumbers black, moleskin, Type D and tallow, but can't remember why.

Sponsored Links
Naturally assumed it could only possibly be for drain pipes... ;)

bripl said:
tsk tsk dia you know it should be replaced ;)

If operatives encounter lead in an existing installation, it may be left in use or repaired provided that it is in good condition, adequately sized and gas sound.

Corgy Essential gas safety then go on to explain how to connect an extension to an existing lead supply.

doitall wrote

If operatives encounter lead in an existing installation, it may be left in use or repaired provided that it is in good condition, adequately sized and gas sound.

common sense tells me it has outlived its purpose so pull it out, testicles to what it says in the book and you should know better as you are older than lead gas pipes :LOL: ;)

Last Irishman I spoke too, thought a gas pipe was another name for a phone. :LOL: ;)

good job i was taught by the brits :LOL: to tell the difference

About 20 years ago while fitting some wall heaters . Lead pipe coiled up under boards start pulling it out till it stops few sharp pulls on it and it won`t budge, have a look and its still connected to the gas lights which still worked oops.

My gas lights still work as well. :LOL:

Imgp1347m.jpg

how do you legally blank a lead gas pipe.dont forget you can only use a recognised fitting.

thanks for that DOITALL and CHRISR, very detailed response. a few other small points tho....is it best just to apply heat the copper pipe ? what tool is used to form a socket on the lead pipe? is it called a turn pin. i should think a shave hook is ideal for cleaning the inside of the lead.

also i would only use this jointing method where i have no other options. for example a lead gas pipe to an appliance under laminate flooring, and the job requires some of the gas pipe to be replaced, as lead lock is not used on gas pipes i only have two options , replace all the lead pipe..or make a wiped joint.

i would normaly remove all lead and replace with copper, but the skill of being able to wipe a lead joint when it comes to gas fitting is very important and should not be seen as old school as on the odd job it will get you old of trouble, a skill gas fitters should not loose i believe, maybe i should be included in the A.C.S..... a reflection of the real day to day things fitters come up against.

Once again thankyou very much for your responses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back