12 into 240? theoretically?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, so purely theoretically here..

could you wire 20 x 12V halogen downlighters IN SERIES straight to 230V mains?

it works in my head in theory.. each lamp would get a 12V drop across it.. and is the same theory behind many xmas lights..
the problem being the obvious one of one lamp goes and they all go out..

Sponsored Links
The start up current on a quartz halogen lamp is many times its run current and it is unlikely they would all take same current on start up and one would likely blow it would need 12 volt zeners across each lamp and even then unlikely to be correct voltage on each lamp so life would be very short.

Sponsored Links
Although it would work "theoretically", in theory, there would be the potential for 230v across a 12v lampholder if there was a break anywhere in the series circuit. Furthermore, and also in theory, if a lamp or number of lamps were to fail short circuit then this could result in higher voltage than expected across other lamps in the circuit.

They all must be the same power.

If you have 12V 50W lamps and replace one with a 12V 20W lamp, it will blow first because it will get 26V across it.

Although it would work "theoretically", in theory, there would be the potential for 230v across a 12v lampholder if there was a break anywhere in the series circuit.
If it goes open circuit there will be 0v across each lampholder.

if a lamp or number of lamps were to fail short circuit
Do they ever do that?

Ban, I think he meant , if it goes open cct then acrross that one lampholder there would be mains potential until such times as a replacement is made.
I might be wrong there though

Ban, I think he meant , if it goes open cct then acrross that one lampholder there would be mains potential until such times as a replacement is made.

Come on guys, it depends on where the break is, doesn't it? (rhetorical question.) BAS is pulling electonicsuk up on his use of the word "anywhere".

Anyone who can't work out what will be at what potential in this circuit for any given fault should leave well alone as it's very basic stuff.

Indeed, I should have said there would be potential for 230v between a lampholder and earth.

You'd also see 230v across the lampholder with the blown lamp, or across the lampholder should one lamp be removed from a healthy circuit.

halo2.jpg

Clicky

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back