14kw pool heater ....What trip switch to buy for fuse box

In this instance, I think the wise thing to do, is to establish what supply fuse rating you have and the load demand on the current distribution/fuse board. But you still do need an electrician.

Sponsored Links
It would not restrict the power to the heater, but would probably not be sufficiently under-rated to actually 'trip'. However, it could get very hot, and theoretically might 'burst into flames' and/or adversely affect nearby MCBs.

However, in terms of the big picture, I think that the MCB rating is probably among 'the least of the problems'. I would personally say that if you find an electrician who is prepared to run that heater through a 63A MCB (if one is available) in your house CU, that you should consider finding a different electrician!

Kind Regards, John

Hi

Again this was running from my CU in my old house for about 4 years with no problems straight from the fuse box??

Hi

Again this was running from my CU in my old house for about 4 years with no problems straight from the fuse box??

You are now in a different property, there could be a different rated supply fuse and the load demand on the system would likely be different also. So those are considerations that require further investigation.

A pool heater runs for a much longer time than a shower. A load this size does require permission from the DNO before connecting it. You need to do this first before deciding where it should be connected. The last one I did I used an MEM Excel 63A switchfuse connected to the supply tails via a 100A 30mA RCD and 16mm swa cable. The DNO had to come out and replace the cutout with a 100A type, and the meter tails were upgraded to 25mm.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I agree and with needing an electrician and asking the DNO but I don't understand all the doom and gloom.

For all we know, the OP may have a huge country pile and there will be no problem.

Yes, I agree and with needing an electrician and asking the DNO but I don't understand all the doom and gloom.

For all we know, the OP may have a huge country pile and there will be no problem.
No doom or gloom as far as I am concerned! Just do the common sense stuff and not the daft stuff!

12 Kw is considerably more than a shower, 50% more in fact. And that 12Kw rating is at 230 volts. Most likely your supply is actually 240 volts so your power would 13Kw, and current 54.4 amps. It gets worse, you supply is allowed to reach 253 volts, so 14.5 KW and 57.4 amps.

Who connected it at your old house and what size was the MCB?

I do try to be polite to you Winston but it is difficult, however -

12 Kw is considerably more than a shower, 50% more in fact. And that 12Kw rating is at 230 volts.
The design current using nominal voltage is 52.2A

A 10.5kW/240V shower at 230V is 9.66kW.
9.66 + 50% is 14.49.

Most likely your supply is actually 240 volts so your power would 13Kw, and current 54.4 amps. It gets worse, you supply is allowed to reach 253 volts, so 14.5 KW and 57.4 amps.
The same applies to showers.

I wonder why they make 12kW pool heaters.

Why do you say that - "through a 63A MCB"?
Because, as you go on to say, that is the minimum standard MCB which could be used. I agree that I probably didn't need to add that, since my point, previously stated, is that I personally would not want such a load running from a domestic CU.
Now it's come down to 12kW, it's not that much bigger than a shower.
Granted, it will run longer than a shower but are there time restrictions on showers?
That's the point. No, as you know, there are not any 'time restrictions on showers' but, in practice, domestic showers will only be used for relatively short periods, whereas a pool heater (particularly if, as implied, it is an outdoor pool) could well be 'running' for very much longer periods of time.

Would you be 'happy' to have a 12kW outdoor pool heater run from a standard domestic CU (or, indeed, from a 'standard single=phase domestic supply'??

Kind Regards, John

Would you be 'happy' to have a 12kW outdoor pool heater run from a standard domestic CU (or, indeed, from a 'standard single=phase domestic supply'??
If it had been deemed acceptable and satisfactory.

We do not know (I don't think) if the OP lives in Coronation Street or Chatsworth.

JohnW2 said:
Would you be 'happy' to have a 12kW outdoor pool heater run from a standard domestic CU
If it had been deemed acceptable and satisfactory. We do not know (I don't think) if the OP lives in Coronation Street or Chatsworth.
Opinions may vary, but I was saying that I personally wouldn't be all that happy (i.e. would not deem the situation to be particularly 'acceptable {to me} and satisfactory) to have such a load supplied by a 'standard domestic CU' (and the OP seems to imply that it is the only one in the house), even if I lived in Chatsworth.

Kind Regards, John

The current and kW ratings on the machine are incompatible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back