15.5kw 3 phase oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In respect of a commercial oven on a 3 phase supply. The location of the socket is not ideal for the location of the oven. Would using an extension lead be a NO NO? The current looks too big??

Sponsored Links
The location of the socket is not ideal for the location of the oven.
The socket needs to be relocated.

An extension lead is entirely unsuitable. It won't have any interlock to prevent it being unplugged while the supply is still connected.

If a longer cable can be dressed appropriately (so it isn't a trip hazard, isn't getting heated etc etc) then you can fit a longer cable to the oven (so you maintain interlocking as above). There are plenty of flexible options (the flex armoured is probably best for a kitchen)

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys. On balance, as this would be permanent, I'll get my spark in to relocate. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

An extension lead is entirely unsuitable. It won't have any interlock to prevent it being unplugged while the supply is still connected.
Is that just your opinion/judgement? or is there a regulation requiring interlocking in such cases? I can't really see how an extension on an oven is any worse than all the cables you see around a typical event site.

Also, while not the norm, Lewden apprently make inline sockets with an interlocked rotary switch.

Thank you for all your help. Actually, we've decided to leave the socket where it is, and locate the oven near the socket (we'll just re-arrange the kitchen a bit). The RED socket says 32-6h 3p-N+Earth IP44 200/346V, 240/415V. I've checked the CU and it's on a 32A breaker. Am I right in thinking that 15.5kW takes a load of (15500/(3*230) = 22.5A) and the socket is also sufficient, and therefore I'm good to go?

Yes 15.5kW will use less than 32A per phase so your socket and circuit breaker are sufficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back