1930s 3bed semi

Sponsored Links
No, that will be the one employing cheap ex-USSR technicians who lost their jobs.

zaphod2.jpg

Your day job doing advertising for the BBC? Yep, that is one of the recognised problems of a bad install at a nuclear power plant.

Sponsored Links
Damocles said:
Or was that just a scare story to encourage people to acept windmills in their gardens?

Hey, I love radioactive stuff, what with being a physicist and one who listens to Kraftwerk. But I would freakin' love a windmill in my garden!

I would love to be able to just see an offshore windfarm from the beach. I think I saw one in Wales, brilliant idea. Nuclear stations won't be so bad as soon as the fusion stations come online... only one step away, the international consortium just needs for the US and Russia to stop being political and let us build ITER in France.

http://www.iter.org/

From that website (with my emphasis):

"The building of ITER would take 10 years, and 20 years are foreseen for operation, so we could probably start designing DEMO by 2020, and if needed operating it by 2035. This puts the first commercial fusion power station (the step after DEMO) on line at the earliest in about 2050."

And in the meantime we cannot go on pumping out greenhouse gases, and whilst wind and tidal power can produce useful amounts they can't meet the majority of our needs, let alone all of them, and we live in a windy place with lots of coastline.

As much as I used to be against them, I think that fission reactors are the lesser of many evils, for the next few generations.

Adam!! Kraftwerk!! I LMBFAO for ages over that one.... Oh (wipes laughter tear from eye) I thought only sad, middle-aged geeks were into German 'lectronic bands, not spunky young studs like your good self!

Ahve bin t forin parts. Is lots a windmil

Only windmill I have ever seen in the uk was on the thames embankment next to the millenium eye. Don't know why it was there, but it wasn't there for long.

I have seen quite a few abroad. Drive across Gernmany and there are loads dotted about on the hills. Sail into Copenhagen and there are lots dotted about in the sea near the shore.

The british governemt has only been interested in spending money on one kind of power production, nuclear fission. And all that has been spent on decommisioning costs for the existing power stations. Whacking great subsidies to try to privatise the rump of the nuclear industry. If the same money had been spent on wind and wave, we might have a few trial stations working by now.

The other problem is planning permission. There are soo many people out there who refuse to have a windmill blocking their view.

No one can say that we could not produce all our electricity needs from wind... because no one has done anything like enough research on how it could be accomplished. I strongly suspect we could, but what does a government which owns its own oil fields care about that?

Another option we should be pushing forward with is mini CH&P systems in peoples' houses. Instead of condensing boilers, which don't scavenge much waste heat, as they don't work in condensing mode much of the time, use the waste heat to drive a Stirling engine connected to a small generator.

Plus, of course, we should have much higher levels of insulation, triple glazing, airlock doors, and heat exchangers to get back as much heat as possible from air and water leaving the building. Done properly it is staggering how little energy a household needs.

Truth is, no one is likely to do a damned thing about it untill the oil runs out. Better hope the Iraqi resistance blow up the oil wells then, might help save the planet.

Hey Dingbat

I'm hurt now! Kraftwerk are ace! Have enjoyed many a tune of theirs...and have done since the early eighties.

burning oil in an iol well fire is just as bad if not worse for the atnosphere than actually using the oil

at some point opec and the other major oil exporters like russia will start seriously thinking about oil running out and the price of oil will rise dramatically

i don't think that oil will run out as such it will just become so expensive that it will be treated like platinum is now ie as a precious raw material to be used only when there is no other practical option because of its cost

dingbat said:
Adam!! Kraftwerk!! I LMBFAO for ages over that one.... Oh (wipes laughter tear from eye) I thought only sad, middle-aged geeks were into German 'lectronic bands, not spunky young studs like your good self!

You are a fan yourself then? ;)

It was intended as a very subtle reference to nuclear power stations: "Kraftwerk" is German for power station, and one of their better known songs is called "Radioactivity", hence "nuclear power station"... I only know them because my teacher in Year 4 used to put on "We are the robots" for the dance part of PE. :LOL: And I'm sticking to that as my alibi!

But I can see the attraction in them, they were cutting edge back in the 1970s and 80s, they were on Tomorrow's World and everything! :cool:

Damocles said:
Only windmill I have ever seen in the uk was on the thames embankment next to the millenium eye. Don't know why it was there, but it wasn't there for long.

there is one along side the M25 nr dingley dangley kingslangley

there are several "farms" of them in Norfolk (i think it is) saw a tv prog about them, they are quite noisey.

saw documentry about putting them in near Holland in the sea, they can only do it when there is no wind, but they have to put them where it is windy, thats foreigners for you

Not sure a stirling engine would be that useful for driving a generator, they are wonderful things but the power they can produce for a given mass of engine is tiny. Perhaps you should refine the design and invent the ban-engine.

Offshore windfarms solve much of the obscured-view problem, although fishermen and MMJ are likely to be miffed at the added obstacles in choppy waters.

I was thinking a few days ago about the oil running out, so dove into my usual source of random info, the CIA world factbook. I could think of a few oil producing countries, and have chosen Brunei, Saudi, USA, Russia, China and the UK (well, we have the North Sea!) At current production levels against proven reserves:

Brunei, 15.8 years left
Saudi, 82.3 years
USA, 7.6 years left (!!!!!!!)
Russia, 19.3 years
China, 22.2 years
UK, 5.1 years :eek:

I didn't check all the countries obviously, nor did I check for natural gas. And of course there are new resources being found, I believe so many trillion cubic acres of gas have been found under Russia, only it is very inaccessible.

Of course, I know what you all REALLY want to know...

Iraq, 142 years left :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back