2 gang trailing socket hardwired in place of 2 gang switched socket

a surface mounted box and socket which protrudes 4cm from the wall
Could it be simpler to extend the ring, adding another surface mount socket in a convenient location, and running the cable in a length of trunking inbetween?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a flex outlet plate with a 26A rated two gang socket, such as the one RandomGrinch links to, would be an acceptable solution?

Could it be simpler to extend the ring, adding another surface mount socket in a convenient location, and running the cable in a length of trunking inbetween?
I don't think that would be easier. But I'll have a look at the room and consider it!

It sounds like a flex outlet plate with a 26A rated two gang socket, such as the one RandomGrinch links to, would be an acceptable solution?
Sort of... plus an appropriately sized flex and a cable gland for the metalclad backbox etc.

....or a cheap extension lead connected to an FCU.

Your choice may depend on your expected loads.

...but that's just my thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Sort of... plus an appropriately sized flex and a cable gland for the metalclad backbox etc.

....or a cheap extension lead connected to an FCU.

Your choice may depend on your expected loads.

...but that's just my thoughts!
I reckon max load cwould be a 2KW heater plus a 90w laptop charger...

In fact the cable is only required to be rated at 20A, though it's also required to be at least 2.5mm² so in favourable installation conditions it's current rating will be significantly higher than 20A.

The implicit assumption is clearly that a double socket is unlikely to be used for two large loads at the same time.

Last edited:
In fact the cable is only required to be rated at 20A, though it's also required to be at least 2.5mm² so in favourable installation conditions it's current rating will be significantly higher than 20A.

The implicit assumption is clearly that a double socket is unlikely to be used for two large loads at the same time.
I've bought 2m of 2.5mm2 3 core. It will be loose, so uninsulated. So should be rated higher than 20A. Haven't checked the on site guide and don't know off the top of my head.

The two cables of the ring, yes (making 40A) - but that does not apply to a spur.

What is the reason for stipulating a minimum 20A CCC and immediately prohibiting such a cable?

Why?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back