2 questions for you guys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how much would i be looking it for rewiring a 3 bed semi and how long would it take.

also how much does fitting a combi boiler cost, theres already a cheap gas boiler there now.

Sponsored Links
as for both it realy depends upon where you live, either way I should get several qoutes, as for how long for the rewire, depends how it is done, i know someonre who had it done (2 up 2 down) 2 blokes from electricity board day and a half, they ran every thing surface in trunking.
Obviously it depends on what you want i would offer to chase the cables in that way it is less labour for you to pay

ok cheers mate, am based in lancashire. ive had a quote of around £1500 for it. that was for rewiring and putting 2 double sockets in every room.

British Gas quoted £3100 for combi boiler and 5 radiators recently,at the lower end of the scale the lowest price advertised seems about £1500 + Vat but I don't know what you get for that.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I had a full rewire, 3 bed semi for £1300, local company in west midlands, and they are niceic approved. Similalry vailant combi plus 6 rads for £1800, from local bloke cortgi registered. shop around as long as they approved, british gas etc will cost you probably a grand extra. Make sure you agrre exactly waht is to be done regarding reqire, i asked for a full rewire however the shower was left at 6mm and a cooker point wasn't installed, so get everything agreed beforehand.

You boys want to try North London prices

British gas quoted me £4,437 to replace & relocate (about 4 metres away) the boiler and install a hot water cylinder, and nothing else.

also does anyone now if telephone wires can be routed with elec wires as while all the boards and things are up im going to get 2 more sockets put in 1 in the upstairs spare room which will be the office and probably one in the main bedroom. also ill get a couple more tv points put in upstairs as well so i can then watch sky and stuff upstairs with a good signal. shoud be pretty cheap that way just the price of the cable and sockets about £50 if that i reckon.

had a quote of £1600 max for a baxi combi boiler, mira shower, all supplied and fitted, and too fit a new bathroom suite, which i will supply and too plumb in space for washing machine and a dish washer. does that sound about right and they say it would take 3 or 4 days depending on the pipework but could well be cheaper.

also a mate whos an electrician for a large local company should be able to do the rewire for about £1500 he reckons. and would take 6-7 days

I take it this mate is really good is he, does it in his spare time that is why it takes 7 days, I rewired this house (not the kitchen as waiting for new kitchen) Took me 2 1/2 days on my own, with floor boards up too, cost nowhere neare £1500, got everything from screwfix bt would advise you not to run telephone cables within 6 inches of a mains cable, but it is ok if it crossesit at 90 degrees

Breezer
Do you know why not to run telephone cables within 6 inches of a mains cable ? Maybe interference on the telephone ? If it is,that what I'm getting!

all electricty cables produce a magnetic field, the strength of this field depends on the volatge and current that is going through the cable concerned.*

When another cable is run in paralell at close proximity a current can be induced into the second cable causing "interfearance" it depends on how sensative the equipment is that is connected to the "other cable" as to how it manifests itself. you can put "filters" on the cable to eliminate this, but unless the type of interfearance is known then any old filter will not work.

If ever you connect two or more cumputers together or "network them" the interconnecting cable is covered in a wire braid (called screen) to prevent interfearance from entering the cable.

In short do not run communication wires next to mains cables, also the wiring regulations do not allow this unless it is in steel trunking which has separate "channels" one for mains one for low voltage

* although it can be a pain this fact of "interfearance" is actually how a transformer works, but that is another useless fact for another time

cheers shall make sure phone cable and tv cables away from electricity then. the 7 days is just really doing it after his day job which is as an electrician for a large local electricians company. cant really expect to take time off from his day job just to do my house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back