3 Questions

DSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if these have been mentioned before, I did try a search but it was a bit unsucessful!

1) In House 1, I have just had a rewire (about 2 months back) as it needed doing. However I have just noticed that the new consumer unit (wylex) has a small 'nick' in it. It is on the corner at the top right on the cover part where it joins onto the backplate. It is about 2mm diameter. Should I be worried about this or can it be happily left? I can't say whether it happened during or after the install.

2) Also in House 1 I had a shaver point installed in the bathroom, however they put in one with a light, and I just wanted one with the 2 sockets that say Shavers Only and fit onto a 2 inch backbox. I have got the bits from a local wholesaler however my question is, can I take out the wrong one for the new myself? (what with Part P and everything, seeing as it is in the bathroom). I know it is quite a simple job. Also I can't see any IP mark on the unit. Should it have one? I explained clearly to the wholesaler where it was for. It would be placed quite a way away from the sink/bath etc.

3) In House 2 (in the kitchen) I need to move a socket outlet as the flex for the new fridge won't reach. I thought alternatively I could add a single socket about 1m down as a spur, but can I do that under Part P? Presumably I can move the socket myself....

The socket only has one wire going into it, so could be a spur itself or just on the end of a radial circuit. I am not sure. A lot of the sockets in my house (2) only have 1 wire going in, and a few have 2. It is quite old wiring and I would have thought is radial. Is it allowed to have a spur off a spur? (I know only 1 spur off a single socket, but can you take a spur off a spur?)

Sorry if these are 'simple' questions, but I don't want to break the law, and I want it to be safe!

Thanks in advance,
David

Sponsored Links
David, the nick in the CU is not anything to be concerned about unless it allows moisrure or fingers to access live parts contained in the unit.

What is wrong with a shaver point with a light, you'd be better leaving it as it is.

Use a short extension lead, you need not worry about part P then and still achive what you want. Just make sure that it is a single ended lead and the plug is clearly marked fridge..

There is no point creating an issue what there are simple solutions that are safe and meen you do not need to worry about the dreded P.

There is nothing wrong with the light shaver point other than I wondered if it was too close to a wooden cupboard and might be a fire hazard. Also the one at House 2 has conveniently broken (the pull cord switch has gone), so I planned to install the light one there, and put the new '2 socket' point in House 1. Is it a definite nono?

I am pleased about the CU! Saves an awkward conversation with the installer.

I am currently using a short 4-way extension as a temporary solution. I thought that moving the socket would be simple. Is it not allowed under Part P? What about if I have a new light fitting - would I be able to change that in a kitchen??

I have to say that I agree with a lot of the new regulations, but Part P seems to go too far in many respects.

Thanks again,
David

David, I see your reasoning for wanting to change the unit, but the pull cord switch in the light will cost about £2 max, and is simple to change, I would suggest that you do this if nothing else is wrong with the fitting. However if you want to change the unit then you can, but I assume you rent these properties out, consequntly you need to seriously consider Part P compliance as this is a Technical Commercial Installation, and you also fall into the gambit of other Acts of Parliament many Landlords choose to ignore until they get prosecuted for violations.

Part P has Kitchens and bathrooms as special locations, due to the increased risk of shock hazard they present, consequently any work you do in them involving the electrical installation will come under Part P.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, I do not rent out the properties and both are in the family. We own property 1, and currently live in #2, which is owned by another family member who currently lives in #1. Yes...its complicated! Anyhow we have reason to keep #2 uptogether whilst we deal with #1 - our future home.

Seeing as we have bought the shaver socket I wanted to put it up! I was slightly worried that the point with light is abutting the wooden cupboard at its end - should I be? I could try and fix the switch, but it is integral to the unit and may just be cheaper/quicker/easier to put up a new one (as we have one). Anyhow seeing as it is in a bathroom I couldn't even try to fix the switch, could I? - which is where I think Part P starts to get silly.

Thanks,
David

David, I understand the ownership part, so lets forget that bit and all the baggage that could through up.

Regarding the light being a fire hazard..unlikely, I have never known any shaver light get hot enough to even brown something beside it, let alone start a fire..BUT, if you have any concerns than I would urge you to contact the installer to come around and inspect it as rare things do occur. They should be willing, but if they mess you about contact your local council Building Control Dept as they can advise you on whether you have a case to complain and whether any Building regs have been violated.

FWL_Engineer said:
Part P has Kitchens and bathrooms as special locations, due to the increased risk of shock hazard they present
Odd, therefore, that the Wiring Regulations do not include kitchens in the list of Special Locations.

Or is it? Does it perhaps point to what a cynical exercise Part P was.....

You will have to make your own decision whethere there is more risk moving the socket (properly) and angering the gods of part P, or in trailing extension leads about your kitchen.

As I recall, you are entitled to replace fittings in a kitchen but not move them. As far as legal liability goes, well that is a question of proving what was done when.

Why do people have to turn perfectly good threads into Part P bashing threads when there is no need.

FWL_Engineer said:
Why do people have to turn perfectly good threads into Part P bashing threads when there is no need.

Possibly because someone posted this b*ll*cks as a justification for Part P:
Part P has Kitchens and bathrooms as special locations, due to the increased risk of shock hazard they present
even though they knew full well that that's not the reason why kitchens were made a "special location"...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back